DO-IT Translation Project
The DO-IT Center is interested in making its videos globally accessible by translating them into other languages. To support this effort, we have partnered with Amara, an award-winning website dedicating to supporting communities of people working together to caption and subtitle videos. To help with this effort, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the DO-IT Team website on Amara.org.
- Click the link "Join our team".
- Sign in to Amara if you already have an account. Otherwise, click the "Don't have one?" link, and follow the prompts to create an Amara account (it's free).
- After you have created an account and signed in to Amara, click on the "Personal Info" link to setup a profile, such as short bio, home page URL, and photo. All of this is optional, but it helps others in the DO-IT community to get to know you a little better.
- Still in the "Personal Info" tab, find the heading "Languages you can caption or translate", and beneath that, click the link "Specify or update your languages" and follow the prompts.
- To start translating, go back to the DO-IT Team page, where you'll find several of our videos. Click on any video to go to the home page for that video. Once there, click the "Add a language" link on the left side of the page, then follow the prompts.
- If you need help using the Amara subtitle editor, there's a helpful series of Amara video tutorials on YouTube.
- After you have completed your subtitles, they will be published automatically on YouTube, and we will download them from there and publish them here on the DO-IT Video website. If you don’t have time to finish an entire video, just save your work, exit the Amara editor, and come back to it later.
We're currently focusing our translation efforts on our most recent videos, but if there are particular videos from our collection that you would like to help translate, please contact Terrill Thompson at email@example.com with your requests. Also, feel free to contact Terrill if you have any questions about the project.
Thanks everyone for your help!