- On This Page
- Core Apps and Additional Apps
- Getting Started with UW Google Apps
- Usage Policies and Guidelines
- Email and Document Backup
- Expiration and Departmental use
- More Information from Google
The University of Washington and Google are partnering to provide UW Google Apps to the UW community. UW Google Apps is a service that can be used by current UW students, faculty, staff, alumni, and former students. This version of Google Apps is specific to the UW and is free of advertising.
Core Apps and Additional Apps
The apps available in UW Google Apps fall into two groups: Core Apps and Additional Apps.
- Core Apps. These include UW Gmail, Drive, Calendar and Sites. Google has agreed that University of Washington student data stored in its Core Apps is subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) when in Google's possession.
UW Gmail Drive Calendar Sites
- Additional Apps. Over the past few years, most of the consumer apps available for Google Apps have been evaluated and added to UW Google Apps. These additional apps are not subject to the same agreements the UW has in place for the core apps, and, most importantly, they are not FERPA compliant. Read more about the additional apps.
Getting Started with UW Google Apps
To get started with UW Google Apps, you must activate your account. For information on activating your account and using UW Google Apps, see Getting Started with UW Google Apps.
Usage Policies and Guidelines
UW Google Apps is subject to University appropriate use guidelines and electronic records policies. For more information, see Usage Policies and Guidelines for Cloud Services.
UW Medicine Users: Google Apps are not approved for use with patient data. See the UW Medicine guidance at Being Secure in the Cloud.
When you delete UW Gmail messages, they are given a "Trash" label. Messages with the "Trash" label are permanently deleted after 30 days, or you may permanently delete those messages manually. Email deleted in this manner cannot be retrieved from backup.
All UW Google Apps data is stored exclusively on Google servers. The UW does not maintain any copies or backups for this data. Google does offer limited restores for Google Drive data, but these backups are not guaranteed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to initiate a Google Drive restore.
Once a UW Google Apps account expires, it will be available for reinstatement for roughly 4 weeks. During this time, all shared documents will be accessible. After 4 weeks have passed, all documents and data associated with the account will be permanently deleted.
Because accounts deleted due to expiration cannot be recovered, we strongly recommend all departments use a shared UW NetID for document ownership. Documents can then be shared without risking loss due to separation. Information on shared accounts can be found here:
More Information from Google
- Using Google Apps at Work or School
- Google Apps Learning Center
- Gmail Help Center
- Subscribe to Google Apps updates
- The Official Gmail Blog
- Google Apps Service Status
- Google Sending Limits