UW Google Apps Services
|The University of Washington is partnering with Google to provide Google Apps to the UW community. UW Google Apps is a service that can be used by current UW students, faculty, staff, alumni, and former students.
UW Google Apps provides access to many web based applications including:
In addition to the core services listed above, other applications, including YouTube and Picasa, have been enabled for UW Google Apps. Information on these additional apps is available on our Additional Apps page.
Start Using UW Google Apps
Follow the steps below to start using UW Google Apps. You may activate the UW Google Apps service without changing your current UW email forwarding to send new mail to UW Google Apps.
- Go to the Manage UW Google Apps page to activate the service and set your UW Google Apps password. Once activated, your Google Apps login is firstname.lastname@example.org (where your_uwnetid is your actual UW NetID).
- The UW NetID manage pages can be used to forward your email to UW Google Apps Mail. If you wish to use Google Apps without using UW Google's email service, this step may be skipped. Note: UW Medicine clinical faculty and staff are prohibited from forwarding email to UW Windows Live and UW Google apps. For more information on this policy, please contact email@example.com.
- http://gmail.uw.edu/ is used to access your email and all other Google Apps services. You may also configure UW Google Apps Email on just about any desktop email program or mobile device using instructions provided by Google.
- Optional: These instructions will help you transfer your UW email to your new UW Google Apps email account.
About UW Google Apps Passwords
Use your UW NetID password when accessing the UW Google Apps Email website. However, if you'd like to use a desktop email program or mobile device to read your Google Apps Email, you will need to set a separate password through the Manage UW Google Apps webpage.
When using a desktop email program or mobile device, use @uw.edu with your UW Google Apps password to login.
- Desktop Email Programs & Mobile Phones
Our Google FAQ provides a great launching point for configuring email programs and mobile phones:
- Help from Google
If you need additional help using or configuring Google Apps, Google provides documentation on the web:
- UW Groups
- Access Problems
If you have any problems activating the Google Apps service, or using the password provided for it, contact UW Information Technology at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-221-5000.
Email and Document Backup
When UW Google Apps email is deleted, those messages are given a "Trash" label. Messages with the "Trash" label will be permanently deleted after 30 days, or you may permanently delete those messages manually. Email deleted in this manner cannot be retrieved from backup.
All UW Google Apps data is stored exclusively on Google servers. The UW does not maintain any copies or backups for this data, and Google cannot restore any data, including documents and calendar data, once it is permanently deleted.
Usage Policies and Guidelines
UW Google Apps is subject to University appropriate use guidelines and electronic records policies. For more information, see Usage Policies and Guidelines for Cloud Services.
UW Medicine Users: Google Apps are not approved for use with patient data. See the UW Medicine guidance at Being Secure in the Cloud.
Ending Your UW Google Apps Service
You may deactivate your UW Google Apps service at the Manage UW Google Apps page. Select the Turn Off link next to Account Status.