Styrofoam/Polystyrene Blocks and Boxes
Recycling & Solid Waste accepts large quantities of rigid Styrofoam/polystyrene blocks and boxes for recycling.
How to recycle your Styrofoam/polystyrene blocks and boxes
- Remove all tape and labels. Boxes must be empty, with no contamination.
- Collect all Styrofoam/polystyrene blocks and boxes in large, clear plastic bags. Use your own bags for smaller volumes. For large volumes, request bags from Recycling & Solid Waste by filling out the Styrofoam Bags Request Form.
- Close full bags securely and label them with your department’s name and box number.
- Place the bags at your building’s loading dock by the recycling containers; do not block doors or walkways. This is a self-serve recycling program. Staff are responsible for transporting the bags to the loading dock. (Note: At Health Sciences Building, bags are permitted at the J/K-Wing or G-Wing loading docks only; do not place full bags of Styrofoam at other loading docks.)
- Send an email to Recycling & Solid Waste after bags have been placed at the dock. Recycling & Solid Waste will collect the material during the next regularly scheduled stop at your building.