Styrofoam/Polystyrene Blocks and Boxes
UW Recycling accepts rigid Styrofoam/polystyrene blocks and boxes for recycling.
How to recycle your Styrofoam/polystyrene blocks and boxes
- Remove all tape and labels. Boxes must be empty, with no contamination (no ice packs, packing peanuts, paper, etc.). Styrofoam that has tape/labels or contamination is not accepted by the recycling vendor.
- Collect Styrofoam/polystyrene blocks and boxes in clear plastic bags. Use your own bags for small volumes. For large volumes, request bags by filling out the Styrofoam Bags Request Form. Note: large lidded boxes do not need to be bagged.
- Close full bags securely and label them with your department’s name and box number.
- Place bags and stack large lidded boxes next to the recycling containers at your building’s loading dock; do not block doors or walkways. This is a self-serve recycling program; custodians are not responsible for transporting the Styrofoam.
- Send an email to UW Recycling after bags have been placed at the dock. UW Recycling will collect the material during the next regularly scheduled stop at your building.