Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide > Course Catalog 

Instructor Class Description

Time Schedule:

Robert C. Stacey
HIST 491
Seattle Campus

Honors Historical Method

The purposes, materials, and techniques of historical scholarship. Theory, practice, and criticism. For honors students.

Class description

By researching, writing, and rewriting papers on topics of their own choosing, students in HIST 491-492 will gain experience in producing works of original historical scholarship.

Student learning goals

Students will learn to design, plan, and carry through to completion a substantial (25-40 pages) piece of original historical research.

General method of instruction

After some introductory discussion of the nature of historical evidence and argument, students in HIST 491 will identify and refine topics for their own research projects. Working independently or in research groups, students in HIST 491-492 will produce rough drafts, help critique other students' drafts, and then submit revised final drafts of papers that make an original contribution to scholarly knowledge of a subject. They will consult regularly with both the professor in HIST 491-492 and with faculty members expert in their specific areas of research.

Recommended preparation

-Completion of HIST 395.

Class assignments and grading

Class Assignments and Grading: - HIST 491: A prospectus, with annotated bibliography, for your research project; active participation in class discussions; critique of one other student's prospectus. - HIST 492: an oral presentation, written rough draft, and a final draft of your research paper; critique of one other student's rough draft.

Grades for 491-492 will be assigned for both quarters at the end of HIST 492. 80% of the final grade will be determined by the grade on the research paper. The remaining 20% will be based on class participation and the quality of the preparatory work throughout the two quarters.


The information above is intended to be helpful in choosing courses. Because the instructor may further develop his/her plans for this course, its characteristics are subject to change without notice. In most cases, the official course syllabus will be distributed on the first day of class.
Last Update by Robert C. Stacey
Date: 04/23/2007