Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide > Course Catalog 

Instructor Class Description

Time Schedule:

Brian C Hardison
ENGL 131
Seattle Campus

Composition: Exposition

Study and practice of good writing: topics derived from a variety of personal, academic, and public subjects. Cannot be taken if student has already received a grade of 2.0 or higher in either ENGL 111, ENGL 121, or ENGL 131.

Class description

“The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne.” — Geoffrey Chaucer

This course is, first and foremost, a class concerned with the craft of writing. During the course, we will build upon the skills you already possess to transition into college writing. We will be guided in this process by the four objectives of the Expository Writing Program which are:

1. To demonstrate an awareness of the strategies that writers use in different writing contexts; 2. To read, analyze, and synthesize complex texts and incorporate multiple kinds of evidence purposefully in order to generate and support writing; 3. To produce complex, analytic, persuasive arguments that matter in academic contexts; 4. To develop flexible strategies for revising, editing, and proofreading writing.

At the moment, these objectives are likely a bit daunting. Never fear! Along the way we will unpack their meaning and discover how they will aid you in becoming a more sophisticated (and successful) writer. Throughout this course, you will build upon the skills you already possess. Our goal is to teach you skills that will assist you in learning to become an effective writer in the myriad of writing situations that will occur throughout your university career and beyond.

Writing, like any skill, requires a considerable amount of time, effort, and practice to hone. As you might expect of a writing course, the bulk of your coursework will consist of written work. Over the course of the quarter, you will write five shorter assignments of two to three pages and two major papers between five and seven pages in length. At the end of the quarter, you will compile a portfolio consisting of selections from your work and a critical response which reflects upon how your writing illustrates the course objectives.

Student learning goals

General method of instruction

Instruction consists of lecture, class discussion, in-class small group activities, and workshops.

Recommended preparation

Class assignments and grading

Students will be assigned five short written assignments of 2–3pp each and two major written projects of 5–7pp each which will provide material for their portfolio at the end of term. Homework for the first five weeks regularly includes readings (roughly 30–50pp nightly).

Students prepare a portfolio of their written work at the end of the term which contributes 70% of their overall course grade. The remaining 30% is determined by class participation.


The information above is intended to be helpful in choosing courses. Because the instructor may further develop his/her plans for this course, its characteristics are subject to change without notice. In most cases, the official course syllabus will be distributed on the first day of class.
Last Update by Brian C Hardison
Date: 11/05/2013