B CUSP 127
Explores applications of formulae, computational skills, and interpreting certain quantities. Reviews study techniques to enhance course comprehension, and the pros and cons of the use of calculators in a math class. Co-requisite: either B CUSP 122 or B CUSP 123. Credit/no-credit only. Offered: AWSp.
This course is supplemental to BCUSP 123. It prepares students for success in college-level math classes by using a hands-on problem solving approach in the classroom. This course focuses on strengthening computational skills (human and computer), and it also explores learning strategies for use in mathematics and other technical disciplines.
Student learning goals
* Solve algebraic problems;
* Present solutions to mathematical problems in a logical and systematic way;
* Use technology to interpret and solve mathematical problems;
* Generalize and apply mathematical ideas to different problems;
* Identify and implement effective techniques for learning mathematics and other technical disciplines;
* Develop critical and creative thinking skills.
General method of instruction
Class time will be spent on active problem solving individually and in groups.
* High school algebra; * Willingness to learn mathematics; * Willingness to work with others; * Be currently enrolled in BCUSP 123.
Class assignments and grading
In-class individual/group worksheets and activities.
CR/NC will be assigned based on the work and participation done in class.