Sexual Assault Resources

Medical care

General medical care

Medical care after a sexual assault can be helpful for treating or preventing illness and injury. It is also an important way to preserve evidence. Generally, you want to get medical care as soon as possible.

If you have been sexually assaulted, medical providers can offer:

  • A physical exam that will identify any injuries.
  • Emergency contraception to prevent pregnancy.
  • Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing.
  • Medication (prophylaxis) to prevent contracting HIV and other STIs.
  • Testing to determine if you were given a sedating substance or other drug.

If you have called the police, they may be able to help you arrange for transport to the hospital.

Forensic exams/rape kits

Not all hospitals provide forensic exams/rape kits. If you are interested in evidence collection, as well as medical care, you must go to a hospital with trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE). SANE nurses are specially trained to work with patients who have been sexually assaulted. Important things to know:

  • You are not required to make a police report to get a SANE exam.
  • There is no charge for a SANE exam.
  • You may bring a friend or family member with you.
  • Preserving evidence keeps your options open in case you decide to report.
  • It is recommended to be treated as soon as possible; evidence is best collected within 120 hours (five days) of the assault.

Disability accommodations

If you are experiencing the impacts of a medical condition or your experience has triggered an existing medical condition, consider seeking accommodations:

Disability Resources for Students (DRS) Services for matriculated students who are enrolled at the University of Washington Seattle.
206-543-8924; 206-543-8925 (TTY)

Disability Services Office (DSO) Services for staff, academic personnel and the general public at all University locations and for non-matriculated students in Seattle.
206-543-6450; 206-543-6452 (TTY)

Bothell – Disability Resources for Students (DRS) Services for students who are enrolled at the UW Bothell.
425-352-5307; TDD: 425-352-5303

Tacoma – Disability Support Services (DSS)
 Services for students who are enrolled at UW Tacoma.