UWRA members organize interest groups to learn, explore, build skills and connect with other members. These volunteer-led groups are a great place for retirees to reconnect with colleagues, share interests and experiences and expand their horizons. New groups are welcome. Email the UWRA office with your ideas.
Contact the interest group coordinator listed with each group’s description for more information about that group. All groups welcome participation by new UWRA members. View a printable current Interest Groups brochure.
- Birding: Half- or full-day local field trips, monthly on Tuesdays. Transportation is by carpool. A typical trip is 12-20 people; a few are accomplished birders but most are learners. Beginners are welcome! Bring binoculars. If you would like to receive the Birding Group’s annual schedule or have any questions, please email Bettimae Metheny. To see a short video with clips from the birders’ past outings, click here.
- Book Review: Meets in members’ homes on the second Friday of each month. Typically a member presents one book in depth, followed by a general discussion. And of course, coffee, tea and pastries are part of every meeting. For the month’s book and location, please email Lynn Klausenburger.
- Bridge: Meets at the UW Club the third Monday of the month for three to four tables of contract bridge. New players (of at least intermediate skill), please email Marjorie Sanders, who organizes foursomes for play.
- Computer Help Group: Everyone who would like to consider, discuss and get help with home computers is invited and welcome. Each meeting has a topic, and meetings are also used as a drop-in computer help center. Meets on the second Wednesday morning of the month at University House at Wallingford. For information about meetings, email Harvey Friedman or Ron Aley (note that computer help is available only at meetings, not in between).
- Day Trips: Visit local spots of interest. Days, times and locations vary — watch the web site and e-digest for announcements and register for any and all trips that interest you. Email the UWRA office with questions.
- Hi-Lites Garden Club: Brown bag lunch followed by coffee/tea, desserts, and presentations by gardening professionals on the first Tuesday of the month. For the active gardener and the gardener at heart! Email Carrie Cone for a current schedule.
- Travelogue: Meets in the UW Club for easy armchair traveling! Speakers share their travel adventures and the visual images they collected on the third Wednesday of the month. Presentations are free. Optional dinners, with menus tied to the country being presented, precede the speakers. Contact Joan Bowers for a schedule or with questions; contact the UW Club to make dinner reservations.
- Walking: Walk a three-mile loop along Lake Washington every Wednesday morning, rain or shine. Meet near the boat launch at the end of the 65th Street entrance to Magnuson Park. Contact Phyllis Ramsay for information.
Members of the UW Retirement Association and the UW Faculty Auxiliary (UWFA) are welcome to participate in each others’ interest groups. You can learn about UWFA’s groups here.