Strategic Nonviolent Power
The Science of Satyagraha
Mark A. Mattaini
- $32.95s paperback (9781927356418) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: July 2013
- Subject Listing: Law, Political Science
- Bibliographic information: 320 pp., 15 illus., 6 x 9 in.
- Territorial rights: U.S. rights only
- Distributed for: AU Press / UBC Press
- Series: Global Peace Studies
Strategic Nonviolent Power proposes that the route to what Gandhi described as the "undreamt of and seemingly impossible discoveries" of nonviolent resistance is the application of rigorous science. Although not a simple science, Mattaini's application of ecological science grounded in the science of behavior brings exceptional power to the struggle for justice and liberation. At a time when civil resistance is actively reshaping global political realities, the science of nonviolent struggle deserves the attention of the scientific, activist, strategic, military, spiritual, and diplomatic communities, as well as the informed public.
Mark A. Mattaini is associate professor at the Jane Addams College of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago.