The Media Gaze
Representations of Diversities in Canada
- $35.95s paperback (9780774821377) Add to Cart
- hardcover not available
- Published: July 2012
- Subject Listing: Media Studies, Gender Studies, Race and Ethnicity
- Bibliographic information: 314 pp., 80 illus., 6 x 9 in.
- Territorial rights: U.S. rights only
- Distributed for: UBC Press
While Canada is known for its official commitment to diversity, a close look at the country’s media reveals that lip service to differences notwithstanding, they rarely engage with it in ways that reflect its presence in Canadian society. The Media Gaze exposes the mainstream media’s attempts to appear objective, even as they may ignore or misrepresent those who do not share their white, male, middle-class, heterosexual perspective. Drawing on compelling case studies, this incisive survey explores the societal implications of the industry’s hidden bias and suggests strategies for countering its dominance.
Augie Fleras is a professor of sociology at the University of Waterloo.