What is it?
Lunch-time professional development workshops for graduate students on pertinent teaching topics.
When and Where
Workshops are held on the first Friday of every month at The Center for Teaching and Learning in Gerberding Hall
Upcoming Workshop dates:
- March 7, 2014 | 12:30-1:30pm | Learning, Unlearning, and Relearning: Teaching 21st Century Literacies Across Disciplines
Workshop facilitated by: Rachel Arteaga (English) (PDF flyer)
Which skills are crucial for educators to emphasize in the digital age? In this workshop, we will generate and discuss answers to this question, consider strategies for the engagement of 21st century literacies in our classrooms, and learn about how these literacies function in different disciplinary contexts. Join us as we use the broad framework of “learning, unlearning, and relearning” to examine our teaching practices.
What’s in it for you?
- Brief, practical discussions of teaching issues
- A convenient way to learn about campus resources to support your teaching and professional development
- An opportunity to build your campus network
- The opportunity to lead discussions of interest to you
- Coffee, tea, and snacks!
Spring 2014 Workshops
- April 4th: Grading Effectively and Efficiently with Canvas
Facilitated by: Keesha Davis (Education/UW-IT)
- May 2nd: More than Data Entry: Teaching University Brains
Facilitated by: Peter Wallis (Education/UW-IT) &
Gabrielle Mehlman (Human Centered Design & Engineering)
- June 6th: Low-Stakes Activities to Promote Active Learning
Facilitated by: Mary Edwards (Social Work) & Rachel Wright (Social Work)
- December 6, 2013: How to engage students when the material is dry
- November 1, 2013: Getting your students to feel comfortable with academic discourse and entering the academic community
- October 4, 2013: Leveling the playing field for English language learner students
- August 2, 2013: Designing Your Own Course
- June 7, 2013: End of the Year Celebration
- May 3, 2013: How to Find Opportunities to Teach and Practice Teaching
- April 5, 2013: But you’re just the TA!: Strategies for Dealing with Challenging Student Interactions
- March 1, 2013: Engaging Knowledge Diversity: Strategies for Effectively Teaching All Students
- February 1, 2013: The Discourse of Teaching: How to Get your Students Thinking and Talking Productively