Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide > Course Catalog 

Instructor Class Description

Time Schedule:

Richard A. Wright
LING 200
Seattle Campus

Introduction to Linguistic Thought

Language as the fundamental characteristic of the human species; diversity and complexity of human languages; phonological and grammatical analysis; dimensions of language use; language and writing; impact of historical linguistics on contemporary theory. Not open for credit to students who have completed LING 201 or LING 400.

Class description

Students will learn to: - discriminate between observations of language use and popular opinions about language - recognize the diversity and universal characteristics of language - recognize the major subcomponents of language and the associated fields of linguistic inquiry - use some of the main tools for linguistic observation and analysis

Student learning goals

General method of instruction

Large lecture (MWF) with discussion sections (TTh)

Recommended preparation

Class assignments and grading

- quick ungraded lecture assignments to emphasize point of lecture - longer homework assignments (graded & ungraded) to practice linguistic analysis tools - section quizzes to emphasize vocabulary and main concepts - cumulative mid-term and final

Participation 10% Midterm (cumulativecovers the first half of the term) 25% Final Exam (cumulativecovers the whole term) 35% Homework 20% Class exercises & section quizzes 10%


The information above is intended to be helpful in choosing courses. Because the instructor may further develop his/her plans for this course, its characteristics are subject to change without notice. In most cases, the official course syllabus will be distributed on the first day of class.
Additional Information
Last Update by Richard A. Wright
Date: 03/27/2005