Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide > Course Catalog 

Instructor Class Description

Time Schedule:

Lynn M. Thomas
HIST 590
Seattle Campus

Topics in History

Seminar on selected topics in general history, with special emphasis on preparation for field examinations. Topics vary according to interests of students and instructor.

Class description

This seminar will introduce graduate students to historical approaches to understanding nineteenth- and twentieth-century Africa. We will examine historiographical debates relating to the study of slavery, colonialism, and post-colonialism. In particular, we will consider how study of African history has often moved between emphasizing universalizing and particularizing perspectives and categories of analysis.

Student learning goals

General method of instruction

Seminar discussion.

Recommended preparation

Interest in historical approaches to understanding Africa's past and present.

Class assignments and grading

Readings, three short response essays, and long historiographical essay.

Grading Percentages Class participation 30% Short response essays 10% each; 30% total Long essay 40%


The information above is intended to be helpful in choosing courses. Because the instructor may further develop his/her plans for this course, its characteristics are subject to change without notice. In most cases, the official course syllabus will be distributed on the first day of class.
Last Update by Lynn M. Thomas
Date: 10/22/2006