Devon G Pena
Delineation and analysis of a specific topic or set of related topics in sociocultural anthropology.
A set of critical readings and deep study of two key works by Karl Marx, Volume One of Capital and the Grundrisse. We will be reading contemporary "autonomist" Marxist theorists including Harry Cleaver, Antonio Negri, Sylvia Federici, Slavoj Zizek, and Giorgio Agamben.
Student learning goals
1. Developing familiarity and skill with approached to the 'deep' study of a text.
2. Understanding Marx's Capital as a method rather than as a theory. The political reading of Marx is purely strategic rather than philosophical or 'scientific.'
3. Practicing critical reading methods.
4. Practicing theoretical analysis: Applied class composition analysis exercises.
General method of instruction
Short lecture, student-led presentation of critique of readings, and discussions.
Start reading the Grundrisse now!
Class assignments and grading
1. Ten short critical review essays (4-5 pages ea.; 1 due every week starting week 2). 2. Class Composition Analysis Portfolio (see instructional handouts). 3. Research paper on a set of theoretical questions developed in consultation with the instructor (25-30) pages. 4. Collaborative thinkpiece.