Kanta A Kochhar
Explores how art is made in specified areas of inquiry, genre, or media. Arts may include visual, written, or performance arts, or a combination of these.
Devising: This course explores the creative processes involved with various forms of storytelling in theater, dance, and mixed media for performances in a variety of contexts. While the emphasis is on creating, directing others, and performing, the history and philosophy of this work will also be investigated.
The course provides an introduction to ways to creating theater pieces using story through a variety of research and compositional methods. It draws from diverse theater sources such as Rudolf Laban (Choreutics), Augusto Boal (Image and Forum Theater), and Mary Overlie and Anne Bogart (Viewpoints). This work also builds from other arts practices such as Surrealist games, Fluxus event scores, Situationists’ dérive, and Anna and Lawrence Halprin’s RSVP cycles. As a result, performance collaboration leads to a shared process of devising work that emerges from engaged dialogue, artistic exploration and an ongoing research process. This approach prepares directors to work with a wide range of performers, communities, sites, and resources. As a part of this type of development process, we will also explore diverse models for exchanging feedback.
Student learning goals
1. To demonstrate skill in various basic devising techniques,
2. To demonstrate increased competency in creating new work , and group collaboration,
3. To demonstrate increased skill in solo, partnering, and group collaboration,
4. To demonstrate increased understanding of and capacity to enact a variety of story frames to generating new work,
5. To demonstrate understanding of and capacity to utlize digital formats for devising stories across transnational stages,
6. To contextualize further devising within a historical and international frame, including seminal figures and important socio-historical moments
General method of instruction
Primarily studio class in devising with 1. Warmup and 2. Intensive exploration of material on a series of tracks Will also include short lecture, class discussion, and film showings
Prior work in a performing art would be helpful, but not necessary.
Class assignments and grading
1. Participation 2. Growth and Development based on Devising Studies 3. 2 Concept Papers 4. Three Devising Quiz/Showings 5. Final Presentation, Project, or Paper
1. Participation 30 points 2. Growth and Development 32 points Continuous Assessment (Breakdown included here) Skills: Via Devising Studies (3) 12 points (4 points each) Improvement 10 points Creativity & Risk 10 points 3. Concept Papers 10 points. 4. Three Devising Quiz/Showings 5 points each (15 total) 5. Final Presentation, Project, or Paper 25 points