Charles R. Collins
Examines the historical foundations, theory, methods, and practice that constitute the interdisciplinary field of community psychology. Students build upon an existing empirical knowledge base, including effective modes of community intervention, and examine the relevance of community psychology for addressing social problem.
This course serves as an introduction to the field of community psychology (CP) with a particular focus on theoretical, practical, and methodological approaches to CP. This course will provide a basis for “thinking contextually” – meaning, students will explore the understanding of persons-in-context and how those contexts can shape human behavior. In addition, BISCP will focus on CP values, which shape CP research and practice, including: prevention and promotion, empowerment, social justice, diversity, wellness, citizen participation, collaboration, sense of community, & empirical grounding.
Student learning goals
• Understand key CP concepts and values
• Understand practical implications of CP as a field
• Analyze and evaluate CP research, theory, and practice
• Examine how CP as a field can and has been used a tool for social change
• Understand the community context through a community-based service-learning opportunity
• Analyze the local community context through a community-based service-learning opportunity through a community psychological lens
General method of instruction
This course will engage students in theoretical and empirical reading, mini-lectures, small and large group discussion, and in- and outside-class activities. In addition, students will engage in a service-learning opportunity in partnership with community partners and the office of Community Based Learning and Research (CBLR).
Introduction to psychology is recommended; a course in statistics and/or research methods will be advantageous.
Class assignments and grading
Assignments will take the form of quizzes, small group assignments, in- and outside-class assignments, essays, and written papers.