Wadiya A Udell
Overview of the physical, cognitive, emotional, and social aspects of human development over the lifespan. Facilitates a greater understanding of children, adolescents, and adults as they develop and change over time in specific cultural contexts.
Developmental science is the scientific study of change and continuity over the lifecourse. This course examines both historical and contemporary theories of human development, focusing on development from conception through late adolescence. This course is a survey course in developmental psychology focusing on the development periods from conception through adolescence. At each period, we will examine the ways in which cognitive, social, and cultural influences systematically combine to shape development. We will explore concepts, methods, and research findings central to the study of developmental psychology. Students in this course will critically examine research findings and trends in developmental science by connecting theories and empirical findings to current social issues and interventions involving children and youth.
Student learning goals
1. To become familiar with major developmental transitions from conception through adolescence;
2. To become familiar with influential theories of development;
3. To develop an understanding of the ways in which development is influenced by a variety of factors;
4. To develop an understanding of the distinction between and relationship among psychological theory, research evidence, and practical implications;
5. To develop an understanding of developmental differences in cognitive activity, social interactions, and the role of context on human behavior.
6. To develop the capacity to reflect on the ways in which research findings connect to your experience working with youth, and think critically about the ways in which research mat (or may not) be useful for real-world practice.
General method of instruction
lecture, some small group discussions
Class assignments and grading
reaction posts, 7 quizzes, brief writing assignment