Summer Quarter Insurance Premiums
for New International Students admitted for Autumn quarter 2014 only
|Start Date||End Date||Premiums|
|June 24, 2014||September 19, 2014||$706.00|
|July 19, 2014||September 19, 2014||$470.00|
|August 19, 2014||September 19, 2014||$235.00|
International students are required by Federal and State laws to enroll in the student insurance plan while attending the University of Washington. In the United States individuals are responsible for medical coverage expenses themselves. All matriculating international students are required to purchase the UW Student Health Insurance Plan (UW SHIP) while registered for classes at UW. If you need short term coverage upon your arrival, before classes begin you may purchase short term coverage through our UW SHIP plan. Short-term coverage is not required for new international students attending Early Fall Start or orientation. Please call the Student Insurance Office at 206.543.6202 to sign up for coverage.
The requirement that you purchase the UW SHIP may be waived only if you meet certain eligibility criteria and have comparable insurance that is valid in the U.S. Only students who fit into one of the following categories are eligible for an insurance waiver:
- Exchange or “Visiting” student attending UW through an official exchange program sponsored either by a UW academic department or the UW Office of International Programs & Exchanges.
- Student funded by his or her government, or the U.S. government.
- Student receiving health insurance benefits provided by the U.S. employer of his or her parent, spouse or domestic partner.
- Student enrolled at UW but doing research outside the U.S.
- Student working in the U.S. and receiving health insurance benefits through his or her employer.
To request an insurance waiver, submit a waiver request by 1:00pm of the tuition deadline (third friday of the quarter).
If you hold a graduate Research or Teaching Assistant appointment, you may be eligible for the Graduate Appointee Insurance Plan (GAIP). If you enroll in GAIP, it will automatically replace UW SHIP and you do not need to submit a waiver request form.
For health insurance waiver inquiries, please email email@example.com.