First Aid Training SAFETY 88-3 (Rev. 5/95, 3/16)
To provide information on first aid training for Facilities Services employees.
First aid/CPR training and certification is required for some Facilities Services employees. The requirement is based on compliance with the provisions of WAC 296-800-150, “First Aid Requirements,” and WAC 296-155-120, “Safety Standards for Construction Work,” to ensure that all Facilities Services employees can be afforded quick and effective first aid attention in the event that an injury or medical event occurs on the job.
While first aid/CPR certification is required for some employees, Facilities Services encourages all interested personnel who desire training to be trained in first aid/CPR procedures. For information regarding who is required to take First Aid/CPR training, please contact the TMS Coordinator for your department.
Facilities Services Emergency Management personnel provides the current course each month for a nominal charge. The current course is eight hours, presented in two 4.0 hour sessions on two consecutive days. Once completed, the students are certified for two years. Renewal of first aid certification is accomplished by taking the full course again. For a list of First Aid/CPR class times refer to the current FS Safety Training Quarterly Schedule. Registration can be completed with your department’s TMS coordinator.
Environmental Health and Safety also provides first aid/CPR training at least quarterly at an additional cost. As with all training offered first aid/CPR training may be taken on UW Release Time Policy. Employees must arrange for release time during their regular working hours with their supervisors. Overtime will not be paid.
More information on Facilities Services’ release time policies for training are found in the Employee Handbook under ‘Training’: Employee Handbook
New employees may be able to receive credit for First Aid /CPR training taken with a previous employer. They must produce a valid card from a certified agency, such as American Red Cross National Safety Council, or American Heart Association. A copy of the card should be placed in the employee’s file until they are re-certified.
- WAC 296-800-150 - First Aid Requirements
- WAC 296-155-120 - Safety Standards for Construction Work
- Administrative Policy Statement 10.3 - General Requirements for WISHA Compliance
- Administrative Policy Statement 10.5 - First Aid Training and Certification Requirements
Responsibility : Action
- Inform your supervisor that you desire or require training.
- Arrange release time with supervisor.
- Distribute/discuss information on first aid/CPR training.
- Work with TMS Coordinator to register employees for training.
- Review and schedule release time for employee whose jobs do not require this training.
- Assure employees attend scheduled training.
- Assure First Aid/CPR coverage is available in your shops.