Fitness Motivation from UW Experts

Posted on by Lauren Updyke. This entry was posted in Being Active and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Ever wonder how those in the athletic and fitness industry have no problem staying active? Is it easy for them or do they have tricks for moving more every day? I had the pleasure of asking a few experts on campus that also happen to be our Dare to Do exercise coaches. Throughout the eight-week challenge they will provide weekly exercise tips and coaching sessions for UW faculty and staff you won’t want to miss.

Matt Anger
UW Head Tennis Coach

Matt Anger

How do you stay active?

I am usually active with tennis. However, there are plenty of days where I’ll exercise by running or skipping rope and doing other exercises.

What advice would you give someone who has set a New Year’s resolution around exercise?

Any time there is a new commitment, there is a sacrifice of some kind. It is helpful to plan ahead. For example, it can take time and you need to plan that out ahead of schedule. Sometimes it is also important to schedule down time so you can sustain your work. 

Think back to a past goal that you didn’t meet. What did you do to overcome it and move forward?

The only danger in not reaching a goal is being careful not to label yourself with a negative like, “I can’t do this” or “I’m never good with goals.” It is important to learn from it, plan the next goal, and push the last one aside to move forward.

To participate in a tennis session with Coach Anger on Monday, February 8 register here. 

Alan Meininghaus
Former UW Athlete and First Assistant Coach for UW Women’s Rowing

Alan Meininghaus

How are you active and what is your motivation to stay active?

I stay active by going for either long runs or riding the stationary bike for a couple hours. My motivation comes from the athletes I work with every day. They come down to the Conibear Shellhouse day in and day out and train to be the fastest, strongest, most technically sound individuals and team they can be.

My advice would be to take their time and be systematical with their approach. Doing too much too fast in the beginning has a high potential to burn them out and could take the fun out of exercising. They should build up the intensity of the workouts up and track their results to be able to see their improvements in endurance and strength. Always be sure to reward your victories!

Work ethic. For me, having a strong work ethic is what helped me to overcome a lot in my rowing career and now as I transition into my professional career as a rowing coach it’s more important than ever.

To participate in a workout session with Coach Meininghaus on Wednesday, February 17 register here. 

Alysha Greig
Director of UW Mindfulness Project and Yoga Instructor

alysha greig

How are you active?

I think enjoying what you do is probably one of the most important keys to staying active. I love walking, and currently will either walk or bike my two mile commute to campus. I also practice yoga and take Pilates classes regularly. But beyond that, I just make sure to get up and move… I try not to overthink “being active” and instead just try to embrace movement in my day to day lifestyle, that way it never feels like a chore.

What is your motivation?

I would say community is a huge motivating factor for me with staying active. I love practicing yoga for this reason, because there is a community there and people are friendly and I always look forward to seeing my “yoga family” there. Also, just my own sense of awareness is a motivating factor… I know that if I sit all day I’m going to be a huge grump when I get home, which I generally prefer not to be.

The only thing I might say is to not be so attached to goals or outcomes. A lot of times we get trapped in this all or nothing mentality where we say, “I’m going to run three times this week” and then you miss one day and the whole month is over and you have to start again the next month (or next year). If we instead just embraced mini-victories in lifestyle and habit changes, bigger change and transformation will inevitably happen overtime.

I am obsessed with chocolate and cookies. I just love them. And one month I decided I was going to give them up forever. Obviously that didn’t work out well. So I had to adjust my goal to be more realistic. Now I am a regular supporter of Theo’s chocolate and eat a small piece of their chocolate bar once every other day or so. I’m eating less sweets than I used to, but I’m still allowing myself to live and be happy.

To participate in Alysha’s free Yoga class on Thursday, February 25 register here.

Jessica Norman
UW Fitness Coordinator for the IMAJessica Norman

Admittedly, a lot of my activity and exercise comes from the fitness classes that I teach; however, I also engage in solo exercise pursuits, including indoor cycling, running, and weight lifting. Outside of the gym, I like to hike, walk, and play with my two-year old pup, Levi.

I’m motivated to stay active for lots of reasons — everything from achieving a post-exercise euphoria to enjoying a decadent dessert — but above all else, I’m motivated by my love of life. I am surrounded by a loving family and wonderful friends, I enjoy traveling, and trying new foods. I know that by staying active, not only will I be able to live longer to meet new people, see new places, and taste new cuisines, but I’ll also be able to be an active participant in my life and the lives that are closest to me — and that’s motivation enough for me to get on a treadmill.

What advice would you give someone who has set a new year’s resolution around exercise?

I think New Year’s resolutions that are rooted in becoming more physically active are great if they follow the SMART (specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and timely) goals outline. In addition to setting SMART goals, a few other tips to sticking with your exercise-themed New Year’s resolution include scheduling your exercise sessions on your calendar, tracking and celebrating your progress and success, and getting back into it if you slip up or fall off.

When I was a first-year student at the Pennsylvania State University (PSU), I wanted to continue dancing competitively by joining the Penn State Lionettes Dance Team. Tryouts were held in the White Building (at the time, the main fitness center on campus) and to make a long story short, I didn’t make the cut. Bummer, but it was while I was leaving the White Building that day that I noticed a flyer that advertised an upcoming fitness instructor training course for academic credit. I enrolled in the class and upon successful completion I became a PSU Fitness Instructor. Ultimately that experience got me to where I am today.

To participate in an indoor cycling class with Jessica on Thursday, March 3 register here.

Jawea May
UW Sports Medicine Physical Therapy Assistant

Jawea May

Luckily as a PTA, I am not desk-bound. I also practice and teach yoga, and commute via bike/bus daily. I am motivated by how great I feel after exercise and keeping up with my two daughters. I want to be movin’ & groovin’ into my 80’s, so I take the stairs instead of elevators.

Start small and be consistent with something you enjoy and reward yourself before expanding expectations and goals.

Reflect on barriers and review your plan; if something just won’t fit into your realistic demands of life, acknowledge this and set a fresh goal/plan and continue while pushing your comfort levels.

Read Jawea’s fitness tips in our our weekly Dare to Do emails. Thank you UW experts for your words of encouragement and motivation for all of us to be active!