Active duty service members and their families may be eligible for residency. If you are currently stationed in Washington State, on active duty, in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard you are eligible for residency under RCW 28B.15.012(2)(g). If you are a dependent (child or spouse) of an active duty service member stationed in Washington State, you are eligible for residency under RCW 28B.15.012(2)(i). If granted residency you do not need to submit the form while continuously enrolled unless there is a change to your student status.

If you are not enrolled at the Seattle campus, please visit the UW Tacoma Residency Office or the UW Bothell Residency Office websites for more information.

To apply for residency as an active duty or as an active duty member’s spouse/dependent at UW Seattle, students must:

  1. Complete the Residency Form
  2. Provide supporting documentation such as a copy of the student’s military ID and a copy of the active duty member’s orders to be stationed in Washington


If you are granted residency as an active duty service member, or as a dependent of an active duty service member, you are not eligible for certain state need-based financial aid programs such as Washington College Grant or College Bound. To establish residency in a way that makes you eligible for state need-based aid programs, please refer to the Residency Classification Office for residency requirements.