Foreign language placement test
Proficiency tests in Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian, Spanish, Ukrainian and Urdu can be taken at the UW's Testing Center. For other languages, contact the appropriate department for placement and proficiency information.
If you would like to take a proficiency test in a language that is not taught at UW please contact the UW Language Learning Center.
Languages taught at the UW
If you are fluent in a language that is not offered at the UW, it is still possible for you to demonstrate proficiency, and thus meet the language requirement of many majors, as noted above. Contact the College of Arts and Sciences for more information.
*The student must also have taken two years of high school Spanish to be eligible for SPAN 110.
**The student is proficient through the first year of study. May enroll in SPAN 201, or may take
the second-year test to attempt to place higher.
*The student is proficient through the first year of study. May enroll in FRENCH 201 or contact the Testing Center to schedule a second-year test.
*The student may enroll in GERMAN 201. A student who wants to attempt to place higher may contact Germanics, 206-543-4580, 340 Denny Hall.
*The student is proficient through the first year of study. May enroll in ITALIAN 201 or contact the Testing Center to schedule a second-year test.
*Students must complete the Interview on the Asian Languages & Literature website.
**The student is proficient through the first year of study. For placement in the second year or above, contact Asian Languages and Literature: 225 Gowen or 206-543- 4996 for an advising appointment.
• Students with any background in Chinese, formal or informal, who wish to take Chinese language courses must fill in and submit an online questionnaire for placement. You can find a link for the online questionnaire on the Asian Languages and Literature homepage.
• The Asian Languages and Literature Department uses this questionnaire to accurately place students in Mandarin Chinese courses. If you do not see the questionnaire when you go to one of the above websites, the questionnaire has been “closed”. This means that the department is no longer placing students in Chinese language courses.
• After completing and submitting the questionnaire, an instructor in Asian Languages and Literature may interview you for placement. If you do not receive an interview, you will be given an add code for a particular Chinese language course.
• The Asian Languages & Literature department administers a proficiency test once each quarter. Please check the Asian Languages & Literature “Placement and Proficiency” webpage for the time and location of the next test.
• Contact the department to register, 206-543-4996. Early registration is recommended.
|KR100A & KR200A||No score is reported, only course placement|
The Vietnamese instructor will conduct individual placement tests in her office (Gowen Hall M233) before/during the start of each quarter's registration period. Please see the Asian L&L placement webpage for the upcoming test dates.
The Asian L&L department administers a proficiency test once/quarter. Please see the Asian L&L placement webpage for the upcoming test date.