Chemistry placement testing
CHEM 142 (General Chemistry)
General Chemistry requires one of the following:
- Passing the CHEM 142 placement exam
- Passing scores = 11-26
- Also accepted is a 52% or higher on the Honors Chemistry exam
- Note: The Chemistry 142 Placement test is listed as a raw score and the Honors Chemistry Placement test is listed as a percentage.
- Completion of CHEM 110
- AP Chemistry score of 1 or higher
CHEM 143, CHEM 153 (Accelerated General Chemistry)
Accelerated General Chemistry sequence is designed for students who have a very strong background and interest in chemistry. Mastery of basic concepts of stoichiometry and gas laws are required. This course will move at a faster pace than CHEM 142. Excellent problem solving and mathematical reasoning skills are required for success in this sequence.
The CHEM 143 & CHEM 153 sequence covers the same material that is taught in the CHEM 142, CHEM 152 & CHEM 162 sequence but is taught in two quarters.
In order to register for CHEM 143, students will now have to satisfy one of the following:
- Passing score on the CHEM 142 placement exam (11-26) and eligibility to enroll in Math 124 (concurrent enrollment highly recommended)
- AP CHEM score of 1 or higher and eligibility to enroll in Math 124 (concurrent enrollment highly recommended)
- Any score on the IB Chemistry test and eligibility to enroll in MATH 124 (concurrent enrollment highly recommended)
CHEM 143 will be offered autumn quarters and CHEM 153 will be offered winter quarters.
CHEM 145 (Honors Chemistry)
Honors Chemistry, CHEM 145, assumes full mastery of the basic concepts of elementary chemistry so the course will not review this material. The expectation for math and problem solving proficiency is also high in the honors courses.
CHEM 145 is open to students with:
- A score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP test and registration in or credit for Math 124
- A score of 5, 6, or 7 on the High Level Chemistry IB exam and registration in or credit for Math 124
- A passing percentage on the Honors Chemistry placement exam and registration in or credit for Math 124
A passing score on the Honors Placement test is 66% or higher. A borderline pass of 52% to 62% may be approved for enrollment in Chem 145 by Chemistry Advisers. A score below 52% is not passing.
More information can be found on the UW Chemistry website.