Study Abroad


As an incoming exchange student to the University of Washington, you are free to make your own housing arrangements. To help you decide which option is best for you, please review the information below.

Early Arrival Housing

Early Arrival Housing is available to students that are required to be on campus before the official campus move-in dates. As participants in the J-1/Exchanges Student Orientation, you are eligible for this option for accommodation during Period 1. If you are approved to move in during Period 1, you will be housed in a temporary room, and you must move to your autumn quarter room on the appropriate move-in date. Please note that Early Arrival Housing is charged at a flat rate and there is a nonrefundable application charge. There is no early arrival housing for winter quarter. 

On-campus Housing

Living on campus is convenient and is a great way to meet new people. All residence halls are coeducational, meaning men and women live in different rooms on the same floor, or on separate floors or corridors. The residential life program is at the heart of what makes living in the residence halls different from other student living arrangements. The staff who live in the residence halls develop social and educational programs and events that focus on your needs and interests as you pursue a college education.

If you are an undergraduate student and indicated in your exchange application that you are interested in on-campus housing, then you have been included on the priority housing list that will be sent to the Housing and Food Services (HFS) office.

Before you can apply to live in the UW residence halls, you must have received your acceptance letter and set up your UW NetID, which will allow you access to the online housing application. Please be aware that it may take several days for your UW NetID information to be transferred to the HFS database.

Resident hall information including room and board rates, dining program options, applications, and frequently asked questions can be viewed on the Housing and Food Services website. Most housing contracts are for 9 months or 12 months. If you are only here for one or two quarters you should still select either 9 or 12 month options and our office will confirm the length of your exchange program so that you are not penalized.

Not all residences will be open during winter break, so please review the HFS website and the Learning Content in your Study Abroad account for specific details. 

Graduate students should review the graduate housing options on the Housing and Food Services website. Graduate housing can fill up quickly, so be sure to submit your application as soon as possible once you have been admitted.

Off-campus housing

Students who choose to live off campus should start planning early. FIUTS has housing resources on their website, including comparisons of living on- vs. off-campus, suggestions for finding off-campus accommodations, and short-term housing suggestions.


The FIUTS Homestay Program is a short-term option where host families support incoming students during the transition period to UW and Seattle and serve as an initial introduction to American culture. This program is primarily for students who have never studied or lived in the US, but any student wishing to participate is welcome. If you are interested, please contact FIUTS.