Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Student Guide 

Name Change Policy

  1. For a student to change his/her name, legal documentation or proof of usage is required of the student's new name. A name change may be processed either in person, at the Registration Office, room 225 Schmitz Hall or through the mail provided the necessary documentation is submitted. The mailing address is: Registration Office, Box 355850, Seattle WA 98195. We will accept name changes for students who are currently enrolled and for previous students whose records are maintained in the student database. If there is a request for a name change on a student's academic record whose record is on microfilm, approval needs to be given by one of the registrars. A certified copy of a court order or a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full is the primary document required.
  2. If these documents are not available, then the student must demonstrate usage. the student must provide proof that she/he is the person whose name is being changed. This typically requires photo ID. Once verified, the student must submit a minimum of two of the documents listed below. At least one of the documents must have date of birth, a photograph, and a signature:
  3. Students may change their middle name(s) to an initial or vice versa without documentation. Documentation is required if a student is adding or deleting a middle name.
  4. A certified copy of a court order is required if a change of gender is to be recorded on a student's records. Records of all students must be changed if a gender change has occurred and a Registrar's approval is not required.
  5. If a student requests a name change and she/he is currently enrolled, that change may be delayed until the end of quarter since confusion could occur during the grading process. If the instructors already have grade sheets with the prior name, a change will not be made until the quarter has ended.
  6. Once a name change has been recorded, students who have a degree from the University may wish to order a new diploma. Click on this link: Diploma Order Form