Search | Directories | Reference Tools
UW Home > Discover UW > Admission 

Graduate Admission Information


Student status options
International Applicants
Admission requirements
Required tests
When to apply
How to apply
Applying on-line

Student Status Options

The Graduate School accepts applications for the following 3 types of students. It is important to understand the distinctions between the categories.

INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must consult the Preliminary Evaluation Process to get current information about Admissions procedures as requirements differ from what is listed below.  An international student is anyone who IS NOT a U.S. citizen and does not hold a U.S. Permanent Resident Visa (i.e., "Green Card or Immigrant").  This definition also includes students who hold U.S. visas, such as F-1 students, exchange visitors, or any other non-immigrant classifications.

Admission Requirements

Admission to the University of Washington is necessarily a selective process. Prospective students will ordinarily meet the following minimum requirements

Required Tests

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

A satisfactory command of the English language is required for admission to the University of Washington Graduate School. Applicants, including international applicants, permanent residents, immigrants and transfer students, who are not citizens of the United States on the date of admission, and whose native language is other than English, must meet the following terms and conditions: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required unless one of the specific exceptions stated below is met. Test scores must be less than two years old from the test date and no waivers of this English competency requirement may be given. See Graduate School Memo #8 for the Universities policy.

Test of Spoken English (TSE)

For those who intend to apply for teaching assistantships must also take the TSE. Registration forms or previous score reports less than two years old may be requested from the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08541; telephone (609) 771-7100 or email at See Graduate School Memo #15 for the Universities policy.

When to apply

Most graduate programs begin Summer or Autumn Quarters.  The following are Graduate Admissions' closing dates but it is important to remember that individual programs often have much earlier deadlines which supersede those listed below, particularly for Autumn Quarter.

Autumn Quarter - July 1
Winter Quarter - November 1
Spring Quarter - February 1
Summer Quarter - May 15

Due to the time required for processing international applications, applicants applying for Summer or Autumn Quarters are stongly encouraged to submit the application and transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admissions by November 1.   Applications received after this date will be processed as soon as possible but significant delays may result.

How to apply

Applicants to graduate student and Visiting Graduate student status may now be completed on-line.   There is a Certificate of Status form for Visiting Graduates which must be signed by the school in which the applicant is currently pursuing his or her degree.  Graduate Nonmatriculated student (GNM) status application forms are available directly from the program.  

Graduate Nonmatriculated applications are submitted, together with two complete sets of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, to the GNM office.  This status is not available to persons holding a F-1 visa or expecting this office to issue the application for a F-1 student visa.

The application fee for both Graduate and Visiting Graduate students is $50.   The fee is $45 for those applying for Graduate status interactively on the Web.   There is no application fee for Graduate Nonmatriculated status.  Detailed instructions will accompany the application.

Financial Ability for International Applicants

The U.S. State Department of Justice and U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service mandate all schools including the University of Washington verify certification of adequate financial support from each international applicant without resorting to unauthorized employment.

Applicants applying for the academic year 2001-02, the total cost of study is $33,720 in U.S. funds.

Graduate appointments awarded by degree programs are considered authorized employment. Few graduate programs offer financial support in the form of a twelve-month research or teaching appointment for the duration of the degree program. These appointments will satisfy the entire financial responsibility requirement and you will not be required to seek outside financial support.

However, some graduate degree programs may offer partial appointments. If this were the case, you would need to seek outside supplemental funding. Funds may come from any dependable source, including scholarships, sponsoring agencies or family members.

When you choose a program of study in step 9 in the PEP process, you will find funding information related to that program.

The following expenses are subject to change without notice and the student should be prepared for any adjustments:

Tuition and student activity fees$16,104.00
Health Insurance (required)$1,040.00
Room and Board$11,520.00
Books and Supplies$1,232.00
Local Transportation$1,024.00
Personal Expenses$2,800.00
TOTAL (U.S. $)$33,720.00

Applying On-line

You now have the option of applying to the Graduate School via the Web. You are strongly encouraged to get more information about the specific graduate program you are interested in before applying on-line.