A new version of the NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG), (NSF 14-1) has been issued. The PAPPG is comprised of documents relating to the Foundation’s proposal and award process and consists of the:
(a) Grant Proposal Guide (GPG) for guidance on the preparation and submission of proposals to NSF; and
(b) Award & Administration Guide (AAG) to guide, manage, and monitor the award and administration of grants and cooperative agreements made by the Foundation.
This new version of the PAPPG will be effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after February 24, 2014. Significant changes include:
· Addition to the certification regarding Conflict of Interest regarding the appropriate disclosure process;
· Reiteration that indirect costs are not allowed on participant support costs;
· Small-scale pilot of a new environmental impacts process with a few programs, prior to NSF-wide implementation;
· Updated process for program income reporting; and
· Numerous clarifications throughout the document.
A by-chapter summary of the changes is provided at the beginning of both the Grant Proposal Guide and the Award & Administration Guide to assist with identifying the changes.
While this version of the PAPPG becomes effective on February 24, 2014, in the interim, the guidelines contained in the current PAPPG (NSF 13-1) continue to apply. We will ensure that the current version of the PAPPG remains on the NSF website, with a notation to proposers that specifies when the new PAPPG (including a link to the new Guide) will become effective.
Please direct any questions to the Policy Office in the Division of Institution & Award Support at email@example.com, or (703) 292-8243.
Head, Policy Office
Division of Institution and Award Support
Office of Budget, Finance & Award Management