Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 5:13 PM
Subject: [Mram] Federal Budget Shutdown & Proposal Submissions
As you are aware, a federal budget shutdown is possible if a new federal budget or a continuing resolution is not passed by midnight tonight. There will be some impacts to the functionality of federal systems. We want to pass along what we know and share some resources. I apologize for the length of this email and the large number of attachments. Please read the sections and attachments that apply to your unit and type of funding.
OSP will continue to provide general and sponsor-specific information as we become aware of it. In those cases where award-specific guidance is provided by a sponsor, we will immediately notify the PI and Administrative Contact on the eGC1. This may include “stop work” actions. Please contact your OSP Teammates for guidance regarding sponsor communications specific to your funding awards.
· eRA Commons will be unavailable
· Staff will not be available to provide routine administrative support services
· HHS will maintain Grants.gov in operational status (see below)
· Grants.gov will be up and running. Applications can be submitted, but they will not be forwarded to any of the 26 Federal funding agencies. These applications will be in a holding pattern until the Federal systems are back online. Once a shutdown is over and the Federal systems back online, these applications will complete the submission process.
· SAGE Grant Runner applications will work the same as Adobe Forms submission (described above). SAGE eGC1 will show the Grants.gov status updates in the history. When an application eventually reaches NIH then their status updates will be added to the history.
· The Grants.gov Contact Center will remain available.
· The Grants.gov Program Management Office will send updates to the federal grantor community regarding the status of Grants.gov as plans evolve.
· NSF website, FastLane and Research.gov will be unavailable
· NSF will not be available to respond to emails or phone calls during the shutdown
· Work may continue on all awards to the extent that doing so will not require federal staff intervention and that funds are available
· Follow-on guidance will be issued once the Federal Government resumes normal operations
Department of Defense
· Work may continue for all fully funded contracts that were awarded prior to the expiration of appropriation
· New contacts will not be executed during the shutdown
Department of Education (DoED)
· G5 (web system) will be available if there is a lapse in Federal appropriations
· G5 is scheduled for system maintenance and will be unavailable from 9am Sept 30th to 5pm October 1st.
· All NASA installations will be shut down with limited exemptions for specifically exempted activities. UW would receive formal notification with specific guidance.
· See attached
· Operations will be limited & Grant Officers will not be available during a lapse in appropriations
· Grants Online System will not be available
· Unless specifically notified to stop work, performance under Grants and Cooperative Agreements may continue during the lapse in appropriations.
OSP will send regular communications to MRAM with updates or additional information until the Federal budget situation is resolved.
Assistant Vice Provost for Research, Office of Research
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs