February 5, 2020
All Official UW Travel to China Restricted
- Mitigating Impacts to Research Activities Due to COVID-19 – 03.03.2020
- UW Travel Update: Know Before You Go – 02.28.2020
The University of Washington is restricting all official travel to China until further notice due to the outbreak of novel coronavirus and in light of travel warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This includes travel to China that was budgeted for and awarded on a sponsored program made to UW.
In addition, foreign nationals who have traveled to China within the last 14 days will not be allowed to enter the U.S., under a federal public health emergency declaration, effective January 31, 2020.
Many U.S. commercial carriers have suspended flights to and from China.
Please review your award terms and budget to decide if there are impacts to your research as a result of the coronavirus outbreak travel limitations, such as:
- Unable to travel to China as approved on your sponsored program, to carry out a portion of the scope of work, collaborate, or present results at a conference.
- Key Personnel listed on your awarded budget are no longer able to carry out a portion of the scope of work, as anticipated.
- Any materials, samples, or other components of the work are currently unavailable due to restrictions on travel and business, within and to/from China.
If Sponsor notification is required, follow your sponsor’s notification and request terms, found in the award documentation.
The UW International Travel Risk Assessment and Safety Committee (ITRASC) will consider waiver requests on a case-by-case basis.