Parents & Families

Parent notification and student privacy

FERPA for parents

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), is a federal law that governs the use of, and limits access to student educational records. Students have full access to their academic records by logging into their MyUW account, but access is limited or restricted to others. Each office has an individual process to authorize users to view student information.

This webpage is designed to be a reference for parents and family members who are interested in learning more about access to academic, financial, health, housing, and dining records.

Academic records

Students can access their grades and academic information by logging on to MyUW. For more information, visit the Office of the University Registrar’s website, or during our office hours Monday through Friday, 10 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM – 4 PM, either in person at the Registration Office (225 Schmitz Hall, Seattle, WA 98195) or by phone: 206-543-8580. Students may also do this online by completing the Release of Records Request form.

Tuition, fees and financial aid

Most financial transactions with the UW, including the collection of tuition and fees, are managed through the Office of Student Fiscal Services (SFS). SFS is committed to seeking input and providing information to student parents or guardians.

Authorizing users

Student Fiscal Services and the Office of Student Financial Aid now have a combined online Information Release Authorization form. Students can use the online Information Release Authorization to designate individuals who will be able to access their UW billing accounts. Students can authorize access to online, phone, and in-person fiscal information and phone and in-person financial aid information for up to five individuals. Please be advised that this information will need to be updated each year.

When students grant access to financial information, an email will be sent to newly authorized users with instructions for accessing the information. In order for authorized users to access student account information, they will need to know the student’s 7-digit ID number. Authorized users will have access to a modified version of the student’s MyUW page, including the online tuiton bill, and their own password. These authorized users will receive email alerts when the online tuition statement is ready for viewing.

If you have already been granted access to a student’s account, you can login to view their Online Tuition Statement.

Additional information relating to financial records is available from:

Student Fiscal Services Schmitz Hall, Room 129, Box 355870, Seattle, WA 98195 Phone: 206-543-4694 Fax: 206-685-2942

Housing and dining

Authorizing users

Students may authorize up to two individuals to access their housing and dining account information on their Housing Profile. This authorization allows individuals to log in to their student’s housing statement to view charges and payments, and to make payments to the student account.

Make a payment

Whether or not your are authorized on your student’s account, you may make payments via the HFS Parent Payment website.


All communications regarding housing are emailed directly to students via their UW email accounts. Authorized users will receive an email when billing notifications are sent to students.


Contact HFS: at or 206-543-4059 if you have any questions related to on on-campus housing and dining.

Hall Health Center (student medical and mental health care)

Releasing medical information to parents

Students have the ability to authorize individuals to access all or specific parts of their medical record.

Forms parents must sign for minor students

If your student is under the age of 18 at beginning of their first year, a parent or guardian must provide consent, along with signing a financial agreement and privacy practices statement, for your student to receive health care from Hall Health/UW Medicine.

Health insurance

All new students and their families should complete this insurance checklist and worksheet to learn about their benefits and network of providers. Families who do not have insurance coverage in Washington State can learn about how to apply for insurance here.

Additional authorizations

For a complete list of forms, please visit the Hall Health website, call 206-685-1011 or email

UW Counseling Center

The UW Counseling Center is staffed by psychologists and mental health counselors who provide brief developmentally-based counseling and crisis intervention services to currently-enrolled UW students. There is no charge for most counseling services. In addition, the Counseling Center provides consultation to faculty, staff, or parents who may be concerned about a student’s well-being.

Authorizing Users

While visiting the Counseling Center students may choose to authorize individuals, using the Release of Information Form, to access their records or talk with their counselor. Students must fill out the form in person at the Counseling Center.

Additional information relating to student counseling services is available from: UW Counseling Center 401 Schmitz Hall, Box 355830, Seattle, WA 98195 Phone: 206-543-1240