Parents & Families

Academic support

At the University of Washington, there are a variety of academic support services to help students succeed. As a parent, you can empower your student to take ownership of their education by encouraging your student to seek the advising and academic support they need.

Most students are not assigned a specific academic adviser. Based on the needs of your student, your son or daughter may choose to work with one or more advisers in various offices around campus. The ideal educational team will include your student + both general and college and department advising.

Advisers help students:

  • develop plans for a major
  • match personal strengths and interests with opportunities in the University curriculum
  • understand and complete requirements
  • avoid or overcome administrative problems
  • develop a sense of purpose in their undergraduate education

General advisers (UAA Advising, Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity Counseling Services, Student-Athlete Academic Services (SAAS), and the University Honors Program) have expertise spanning the whole university (e.g., “How do I choose a major?; I’m thinking of majoring in something in the natural sciences; I’m struggling in my classes”). Until your student declares a major, they will primarily work with general advisers. General advisers can explain requirements and procedures and help your student plan for their major. Your student should meet with an adviser to discuss how often it’s appropriate for them to meet. For more information visit UAA Advising.

UW Advising Offices

College and Department Advising

UAA Advising

Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMA&D) Academic Counseling Services

University Honors Program Advising

Student-Athlete Academic Services (SAAS)