Jumpstart

September 21, 2020

Christine Young

“Jumpstart is an amazing program that so many preschool programs would benefit from having.” – Christine Young

Meet Christine Young, who served as a Corps Member in 2007 and now partners with Jumpstart as a Preschool Mentor Teacher at Educare Early Learning Center.

“I went into UW thinking I had wanted to become a Pharmacist but when I volunteered as a Jumpstart member, I knew teaching was my passion. After I graduated, I was hired as a teacher at the site I had volunteered at.”
What motivated you to join Jumpstart?

I was in a sociology class and Ruby Linsao came in to talk about an opportunity to volunteer in a preschool classroom. I had always wanted to be a teacher so I decided to join and loved every moment of it.

What was your favorite part of your Jumpstart experience?

Volunteering in the neighborhood I was born and raised in so I was connected with the families.

What are you up to now?

I am currently the Preschool Mentor Teacher at Educare Early Learning Center.

Did your Jumpstart experience impact your time at UW and/or your career trajectory or interests?

Yes! Jumpstart really helped remind me of what I had always wanted to do, teach. I went into UW thinking I had wanted to become a Pharmacist but when I volunteered as a Jumpstart member, I knew teaching was my passion. After I graduated, I was hired as a teacher at the site I had volunteered at. I went from a sub to a teacher in a short time span and became a Lead Teacher. After 13 years of teaching, I recently decided to step outside of the classroom and took on a new role as a Mentor Teacher. Now I coach and supervise preschool teachers. If it wasn’t for Jumpstart, I wouldn’t have remembered what my childhood dream career was.

Ruby Linsao and Daniel Carrillo were amazing Site Managers. They provided great support for us Jumpstart members and provided a lot of training and opportunities to team and learn from other Jumpstart teams. We learned different strategies to use in the classroom and learned about the importance of multiple reads and asking open ended questions.