After you have received your computers from CDW, you will need to follow these instructions to add them to the Nebula2 domain:
- Set up the computer, making sure that it is connected to a live Ethernet port.
- Power on the computer.
- At the login screen, log in with the Administrator account. The Administrator password is the serial number of the computer, which can be found on the bottom of the computer. The password is in UPPER CASE.
- You may be told windows license has expired. Choose activate on line and activate now
- You may be asked to choose type of network (home, work, public). Choose work. You will see a screen indicating the network has been named; you can Accept and Close this window.
- Based on the OS that was ordered for your computer, there are different instructions for joining it to the domain. Follow the instructions below for your system
- For Windows 7: Go to Start -> Control Panel
From the Control Panel, click on Systems and Security -> System
Click on Advanced System Settings -> Computer Name tab -> Change.
The computer name should be the serial number of the computer. You can change it to another name of your choosing; there is a 14-character limit on the name.
Computer Name/Domain change button: click on Domain radio button and type in nebula2.washington.edu.
You will get prompted for a user name and password. Enter nebula2\your netid (enter your own UW NetID in place of the words your netid) and your Nebula password.
Click OK and close out of the System settings windows.
If you need to add any Nebula accounts or groups to the local administrator group, you can do it now or you can send an email request to nebula@u when you're done setting up the computer. Once you restart the computer, the password for the built-in administrative account will be changed via Nebula group policy and you will no longer be able to log into it. When you add the accounts, use your Nebula2 credentials when asked for authentication.
Restart the computer.
Log in using your Nebula credentials. Nebula policy will change the Administrator password within 2-24 hours.
Within 3 days please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org asking us to Claim your new computer. Computers not claimed within 3 days are automatically removed from the domain for security reasons. Please include the following:
- For Windows 8.1: Press the Windows Key + X to bring up the selection menu. Click on Control Panel
- the operating system and model of the target computer
- the computer name
- any UW NetID's to be added to the Local Admin Group
- a budget number for the Nebula support
This is also a good time to let us know:
Allow a few hours or overnight for the claiming process to complete and then restart the computer to ensure that the group policies are applied correctly. Or, after about an hour, you can use this command to force the policy update and reboot:
- what computer(s) you would like removed from the domain
- who the primary user for the computer is
- the technical contact, if any, for the computer
- gpupdate /force /boot
Last modified: March 11, 2014