Canvas treats courses as a virtual classroom where content resides, and the place where students can interact with assignments, the instructor, and each other. While the content resides in the course, students are enrolled in sections of a course (such as FISH 453 A or POL S 201 AD). These sections are attached to a course.
Sometimes two course offerings are cross-listed or joined, meaning students are registered in different sections, but receive the same instruction and complete the same assignments. In this case, an instructor can have a single course site in Canvas. When cross-listed in Canvas, some sections from one course are attached to the course that contains the content, the "target" course. Student enrollments continue to update automatically in all sections, but the instructor only maintains the target course site.
Note: Course offerings that are officially joined in the UW quarterly time schedule will be automatically cross-listed in Canvas, with all sections attached to the target course, where the target is selected by being first alphabetically.
To manually cross-list sections in Canvas, and use only one course for content and instruction, follow these steps:
- Before you begin, note the name of the target course, or find and write down the ID of the target course (not a section), which is the six digits that appear at the end of the URL of your course home page. You will identify the target course during cross-listing by searching by name or entering the ID.
- From within the second Canvas course, in the course navigation, click Settings, and then click the Sections tab. You will see a list of sections attached to this course.
- In the Course Sections list, select a section.
- On the right side of the section page, in the sidebar, click Cross-List this Section.
- Enter the course ID (the six digits at the end of the URL of your course home page) in the second field, or type the name of the target course.
- Click Cross-List This Section. You will move to the section page attached to the target course.
When complete, verify that the section is now attached to the target course. Cross-listing can also be undone should you choose to teach the courses separately.