Frequently Asked Questions at the UWThis page is designed to help you
find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the UW,
including applying to the UW. Please make use of these links for
the fastest service.
How to Apply to the UWIf you want to apply to the UW, or
if you have questions about admissions requirements, fees,
financial aid, or the transfer process, please contact the
following resources directly:
- How can I apply to be an undergraduate student at the
- Apply to the
UW - Application form.
Admissions - Web site for prospective freshmen, transfer,
international, and postbaccalaureate students.
- How can I apply to be a graduate student at the
Information for the Graduate School - Email and phone
School - Web site for prospective graduate students.
- How can I apply to be an Extension student at the
Information for Educational Outreach
Outreach - Extension, Online Learning, Summer Quarter,
English Language, Continuing Education, Evening Degree, K12
- Where can I find the General Catalog?
- The General Catalog is
available on the Web, and contains course descriptions.
- How do I contact the UW by phone?
- The campus operator is at 206-543-2100. Also check commonly used phone numbers and
- How do I contact the UW by postal mail?
- There is no single address for the UW, due to its large
size, so each department has its own postal address.
- Addressing Letters to the
UW - How to find a postal address.
- Email the Visitor's
Center - The Visitor's Center will help you find a postal
- How do I find people at the UW?
- Faculty, staff, and students are in the People Directory.
- How can a faculty or staff member correct the listing in
the People Directory?
- You can update your address
information online with Employee Self-Service (ESS).
- Where can I find department information at the
- The Office Directory
contains phone numbers, email addresses, and box numbers.
Calendars and Events
- When do classes meet?
- The Academic
Calendar has the dates of classes for each quarter, finals
week, commencement, and more.
- When is spring break?
- Spring break starts after winter quarter and ends with
spring quarter. The Academic Calendar Summary
shows these dates.
- Where can I find event listings?
- Event listings and calendars are found on the UW Events site.
Housing at the UW
- Where can I find information about on-campus
housing includes residence halls, single-student
apartments, family housing, and campus dining information.
- Where can I find off-campus housing?
There are a few places with off-campus housing listings:
- How can I order my UW Transcript?
- Instructions on how to order a UW
transcript by mail or in person.
Campus Maps and the Bookstore
- Where can I find directions to the UW Campus?
- Directions to Various
Campus Locations has driving directions.
- How do I find the UW campus in Mapquest?
- Use 98195 to find the
UW Campus Map.
- Where can I find a UW Campus map?
- Seattle Campus maps include
general campus maps, a map of libraries, driving directions, a
parking map, and more.
- Where can I find the University Book Store?
- The University Book
Store carries general books, professional and technical
reference books, children's books, mugs, Husky gear, and
- Where can I publish my teaching materials, research
results, departmental information, or other documents on the
- See Creating and
Publishing Web Pages at the UW. Some departments and other
organizations maintain their own web server.
- How can I add a departmental web page to the Departments
- Requirements for
requesting a link to the Departments page.
- Where can I find the UW Seal and Logos?
- Trademarks and Licensing has information about the UW seal and logos,
and how they can be used.
- Where did the photographs on the UW Home Page come
- Many of the photographic images you find on the University
of Washington home page were taken by University Photography, a unit of
the Office of News and Information. If you want to use these
images on your web page, or if you want either digital or
printed versions of these images, please contact the Office of
News and Information, 206-543-2580, email:
email@example.com, or by mail at Box 351207, Seattle, WA
- How do I create documents for the UW Home Page?
- Guidelines for Publishing on the UW
Web Site provides guidelines for developing administrative
Web pages with the standard look and feel of the UW Home page.
These standards were developed by the Webguides, a group of
people who coordinate and work with the many people across
campus involved in designing and maintaining sites on
- How do I request a banner on the UWIN page for my
- Requesting a Banner on the UWIN page
contains instructions and contact information for requesting a
- How do I request that a news item be published on the UW
- The Office of News and Information publishes the news and
announcements on the UW home page. Email them at: