Student Financial Aid

Student rights and responsibilities

Remember: You must reapply for all financial aid programs, including Work Study, each year. This means a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid must be submitted according to instructions by the deadline for the coming summer and academic year. Forms are available at the Office of Student Financial Aid or online at FAFSA on the Web.

Your rights as a student employee

Your rights as an on-campus student employee are included in the Student Employment Policy published by the UW Employee Relations Office. (Paper copies of the policy are also available at the Work Study Office.)

University policy prohibits discrimination or harassment against a member of the University community because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability or veteran status. Should you need disability accommodations in the interview process or during your employment, contact either the Disability Services Office (543-6450 voice, 543-6452 TTY, 685-7264 FAX, or E-mail) or the Office of Disability Resources for Students (543-8924 voice or 543-8925 TTY), or E-mail).

University policy also prohibits all forms of sexual harassment. If you feel you have been a victim of sexual harassment at your on-campus work place or if you feel you have been discriminated against, you can file a complaint with the UW Ombudsman’s Office for Sexual Harassment (543-0283). If you work off campus, your rights regarding discrimination and sexual harassment are determined by the appropriate city, county or state laws. You should notify the Work Study Office if you file a complaint.

“Hazard Communication (Right to Know)” is a Washington State Occupational Safety and Health standard, which requires that employees be informed about hazardous chemicals in the work place. Ask your employer if you have any questions.

All Work Study students, both on and off campus, must be paid for all hours worked. However, if you earn more than the amount of your award, or continue working when your eligibility has been canceled, your employer is responsible for paying you at your regular hourly rate without any funding from Work Study. You and your employer are responsible for monitoring your earnings so that you stop working when you have earned the amount of your award.

If you work on campus, your employer will usually give 15 days notice in the event you are laid off or fired, except in cases of gross misconduct. Off-campus employers should follow the same procedures used for their other employees.

If a problem develops between you and your on-campus employer, such as a personality conflict or a misunderstanding regarding job duties, you should attempt to resolve the dispute within the normal channels of the department. If this process is not successful, you may contact the Work Study Office for assistance. The final arbiters in employment disputes are the Ombudsman’s Office and, if necessary, the Office of Risk Management.

Most Work Study employers have participated in the program before and understand the requirements. If you feel that your employer has failed to meet his or her responsibility, contact the Work Study Office.

Your responsibilities as a student employee

You have certain responsibilities in applying for and holding a Work Study position. Students who are not Washington state residents cannot accept other on-campus employment if such employment will result in a waiver of non-resident fees. Students who wish to work more than one Work Study job at a time must obtain approval to do so from the Work Study Office. If approved, the employers must be informed so that earnings can be monitored. Work Study students cannot accept another on-campus job if the combination of jobs will exceed 19.5 hours per week while classes are in session.

In addition to fulfilling the conditions of award, available on MyUW, you must also be honest with your employer or potential employer about your skills, abilities, and work experience. You may have to take a lower paying, less interesting job initially, but you can change jobs as you gain skills and experience.

If you decide to quit your job, for whatever reason, you should give your employer as much notice as possible-at least 15 days for on-campus employers and whatever notice is appropriate off campus (usually two weeks). If this is impossible, you should make reasonable arrangements with your employer. If you change jobs, you must get a new job referral form from the Work Study Office. Your new employer must complete and return it to the Work Study Office as soon as possible after hiring you.

All students are expected to follow the Student Conduct Code. Dress appropriately for the job, do your best work, and treat others with courtesy and respect. You should notify your employer if you are not able to work on your regular schedule (due to illness, finals, etc.). Remember that employers rely on their Work Study students to supplement full-time staff and your regular, punctual attendance at the job is important. Consider your employer as a possible reference for future jobs and act accordingly.

Occasionally, a student may fail to meet his or her responsibilities as a Work Study employee. If this occurs and the employer files a complaint with the Work Study Office against the student, the student will have the opportunity to explain the circumstances of the case, and if requested by the employer or student, the Work Study Office may assist in resolving the problem. In most cases, the Work Study Office can help the employee to resume work. However, the Work Study Office may limit or cancel a student’s participation in the program, especially where complaints have been filed by more than one employer or in cases of gross misconduct.