Student Financial Aid

Loss of eligibility

Remember: You must reapply for all financial aid programs, including Work Study, each year. This means a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid must be submitted according to instructions by the deadline for the coming summer and academic year. Forms are available at the Office of Student Financial Aid or online at FAFSA on the Web.

At any time in the year, the Office of Student Financial Aid may withdraw your Work Study funds if it is determined that you are no longer eligible. If that happens, we will notify your employer that you must stop working as a Work Study employee.

The most common problem is failure to make satisfactory academic progress. You are expected to successfully complete a minimum of 6 credits (5 for graduate students) each quarter you receive financial aid and a minimum of 36 credits (30 for graduate students) by the end of the academic year. If you don’t, your Work Study and other aid will be canceled and your employer notified that you are no longer eligible. You may not work as a Work Study student until you have resumed satisfactory progress and your Work Study award has been reinstated. See the Office of Student Financial Aid publication on Satisfactory Academic Progress for complete information.

If you withdraw from the university or if your registration is canceled during the academic year, you are no longer eligible for Work Study and must stop working.

If your financial need changes, you may also lose your Work Study eligibility. You are expected to report any additional resources you may receive to the financial aid office. These may include scholarships, grants or loans not awarded or processed by the Office of Student Financial Aid. If you fail to report additional resources, your eligibility for future aid may be jeopardized.

Earning your award too quickly: If you earn your Work Study award before the end of the award period, you must stop working. If you continue to work, your employer must pay 100% of your non-Work Study earnings. Non-Work Study earnings must be reported on your FAFSA when applying for financial aid for future years. If you feel you need to work more hours to meet your expenses, consult a financial aid counselor (105 Schmitz Hall) to discuss your options.