Faculty & Staff Insider

August 16, 2018

Why do they love the UW? Meet the contributors to July’s #YouW photo contest

As August flies by, we’re wrapping up our second #YouW photo contest. Faculty and staff across UW departments shared what they love about their job, and the people and responsibilities that motivate them each day. Congratulations to the UW Police Department for their winning team photo!

UW-Winner-PD-bomb-dawgs

Karly Kern, records administrator, shares some of her favorite things about her job — including some canine companions!

“Community engagement and providing public safety are the best things about working at the University of Washington Police Department. UWPD has three high-energy explosive detection K-9’s (‘bomb dawgs’) that connect with our community and our employees like no one else can. There’s Murphy, a gigantic white lab who loves being the center of attention; Harley, our little German shorthaired pointer who gives actual hugs; and Sam, our newest yellow lab who is a mild-mannered and handsome gentleman. The picture was taken just after a training session, required for the dogs to maintain their certifications.”

Want to participate? In September, show us what you’re working on! Post a photo with #YouW or email it to us at uinsider@uw.edu with a description of the new projects that you and your team are tackling. We want to know what’s ahead for your department for the new academic year, and how you bring innovative problem solving to your work.

Here are our three runner-ups who also shared the wonderful things they love about working at the UW!

Runner-up-Foster

This past March, Krista Peterson, associate director of alumni engagement at the Foster School of Business, and her team gained new perspectives on the Asia Capital Management study tour to Beijing, Shanghai and Tokyo. They even found time to visit the Great Wall of China! “I love my job because I get to work with fantastic UW Foster School alumni, students and faculty – sometimes in very cool places!” says Krista.

Runner-up-lifelong-learning-institute

Natalie Lecher’s work impacts the local community, as director of the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the UW. The Institute provides academic programming to people over 50 years of age in the Puget Sound community. Here, Natalie and the students embarked on a visit to the UW Horticulture Center to learn about birds.

“I love my job because I get to share the amazing knowledge and wealth of expertise that the UW has to offer,” says Natalie, “People come to campus for courses and we bring lectures to the community. I get to learn about art, history, politics, science and whatever the community wants to learn about. I love my job!”

runner-up-jenny-it-audit

Jenny Messerle (@jennymesserle), Senior IT Auditor, expresses her appreciation for UW’s inclusive community impact through artwork.

“I love working for the UW. Why? Because I’m proud to work for an organization that makes a difference in the world. Every day, I’m reminded of this.  Because every morning, I get a UW email that features something amazing the [UW] is doing like using human stem cells to restore heart function or helping soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder,” says Jenny. She also adds that “…every UW employee I encounter radiates pride in working here and pride in how they are part of something bigger than themselves that they know does good for the world. …They encourage you to embrace your whole self, [and they] don’t want you to suppress any part of yourself.”

Check out other awesome submissions below!

Submitted by: Jyoti Naik, UW ADA Architect, Engineering Services

"I love my job because it gives me an opportunity to help the UW disabled community and work with a fun group of coworkers as well as other departments all across UW campuses. These are pictures of us participating in Whole U activities."

Submitted by: Marrianne Holec, Sr. Program Manager, I-TECH, Dept of Global Health

"My team has a knack for putting our heads together!"

Submitted by: Karen Drinkard, BS, RRT-NPS Neonatal Respiratory Clinical Specialist

"I’m proud to work with the Respiratory Care department at UW Medical Center! My team is always helping each other and looking for ways to make each other’s loads a little lighter!"

Submitted by: Betty Lanman, Assistant to the Director, UW School of Medicine, Department of Radiology

"This photo was taken last year when a group of UW Medicine Radiology residents, faculty and staff hiked up to Lake 22 for our 2nd Annual Doug Hike, in loving memory of our colleague Dr. Doug Green."

Submitted by: Lauren Bedson, Marketing and Student Recruitment Specialist, UW SPH Department of Health Services

"I love my job in the UW SPH Department of Health Services because my colleagues are the best! They came together to throw me a beautiful bridal shower, complete with rice krispie “sushi” to celebrate our upcoming honeymoon trip to Japan! #YouW"

Submitted by: Camille Perry, Epic Core Systems, UW Medicine IT

"I love my job because I get to support caring, intellectuals who serve for public good. The work of everyone at UW Medicine and the greater campus community enhances and improves the human condition in this area of the world and internationally."

Submitted by: Anna Endter, Head of Research Services, Gallagher Law Library

"Here at the @uwgallagher law library we believe in modeling good habits for our students by taking mental health breaks! We recently took advantage of the sun to spend some time together and soak in the vitamin D."

Submitted by: UW-CMiST, UW Medicine Department of Medicine and Division of Gastroenterology

"The opportunity to meet our supporters and patients we are working hard to help is just one reason we love our jobs doing microbiome research at the @UW!"