Lean in Facilities Services
Facilities Services uses lean principles and tools to improve processes in support of our strategy.
Our goal is to engage every individual in continuous, daily improvements to enable us to achieve our mission and vision, enabling discovery and excellence at the University of Washington by delivering world-class service, anytime, anywhere.
What is Lean?
Lean is "a systematic approach to identifying and eliminating waste…” which includes:
- Understanding what is of value to the customer
- Organizing work to deliver value
- Focusing on flow (of material, people, information and work)
- Identifying and eliminating the causes of waste
- Continuous pursuit of perfection
Based on Lean Thinking, Womack & Jones, 2003