Decontamination Form + Special Consideration Items
Click here for the Notice of Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Form
Any laboratory equipment contaminated or potentially contaminated with biological material, chemicals, or radio-isotopes must be decontaminated prior to delivery to Surplus Property. In addition, a Notice of Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Form must be completed and affixed to the item.
Biohazard stickers: Please remove, deface, or mark through any biohazard stickers applied to items that have been decontaminated and are intended for surplussing.
Items requiring decontamination forms include (but are not limited to):
|Biological safety cabinets||Hoods|
|Dead tanks||Microwave ovens|
|Glassware & plasticware||Storage cabinets & lockers (used to store chemicals or hazardous waste)|
|Glass & plastic containers||Glove boxes|
|Water baths||Flammable cabinets|
The following items must be reviewed and approved for surplussing by EH&S prior to moving:
- Chemical Products (commercial use) i.e. paint, cleaners, floor wax, etc. Main line for EH&S: 206-543-7262.
Any equipment containing a radioactive source must be checked by EH&S Radiation Safety Division prior to surplussing and public sale. Please contact Molly McGee in the Radiation Safety Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 685-5311. The following items MUST be okayed and cleared by Environmental Health & Safety prior to surplussing:
- Gas chromatographs (not HPLCs/ liquid chromatographs)
- Germicidal UV lamps
- Scintillation counters
- X-ray equipment
- Any item with a radioactive sticker
The following items CANNOT be accepted by Surplus Property:
- All chemicals (except those listed above)
- Needles & Syringes
- Capacitors & Transformers (note: some equipment may contain transformers, such as x-ray equipment and electron microscopes; these transformers may be accepted but must be drained of oil and the oil must have been tested and certified by EH&S as being non-PCB)
- Gas Cylinders, Pressurized Containers / Vessels
- Instruments Containing Mercury (temperature or pressure measurement devices)
- Materials containing Asbestos, including but not limited to: Autoclaves, Laboratory ovens, older furnaces, fire-proof file cabinets, anything that produces high heat
- Please contact EH&S for information about removal of such items.