Decontamination Form + Special Consideration Items
Any laboratory equipment contaminated or potentially contaminated with biological material, chemicals, or radio-isotopes must be decontaminated prior to delivery to Surplus Property. In addition, a Notice of Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Form must be completed and affixed to the item.
Biohazard stickers: Please remove, deface, or mark through any biohazard stickers applied to items that have been decontaminated and are intended for surplussing.
Items requiring decontamination forms include (but are not limited to):
|Biological safety cabinets||Hoods|
|Dead tanks||Microwave ovens|
|Glassware & plasticware||Storage cabinets & lockers (used to store chemicals or hazardous waste)|
|Glass & plastic containers||Glove boxes|
|Water baths||Flammable cabinets|
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS MUST BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED FOR SURPLUSSING PRIOR TO REMOVAL BY OR DELIVERY TO SURPLUS PROPERTY AND THE CORRESPONDING MSDS/SDS MUST ACCOMPANY THE PRODUCT :
- Chemical Products (commercial use) i.e. paint, cleaners, floor wax, etc. Contact EH&S: 206-616-5835.
- Solid-Core Doors (potential for Asbestos). Contact Asbestos Office: 206-685-3357.
Any equipment containing a radioactive source must be checked by EH&S Radiation Safety Division prior to surplussing and public sale. Please contact Phil Campbell in the Radiation Safety Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 543-4929. The following items MUST be okayed and cleared by Environmental Health & Safety prior to surplussing:
- Gas chromatographs (not HPLCs/ liquid chromatographs)
- Germicidal UV lamps
- Scintillation counters
- X-ray equipment
- Any item with a radioactive sticker
The following items CANNOT be accepted by Surplus Property:
Please contact the listed UW office for information about disposing of these items.
- Needles & Syringes (unused): EH&S Biosafety, 206-221-7770
- Materials containing Asbestos, including but not limited to: autoclaves, laboratory ovens, older furnaces, fire-proof file cabinets, anything that produces high heat: Asbestos Office, 206-685-3357
- All chemicals (except those listed above): EH&S Chemical Waste, 206-616-5835
- Capacitors & Transformers (note: some equipment may contain transformers, such as x-ray equipment and electron microscopes; these transformers may be accepted but must be drained of oil and the oil must have been tested and certified by EH&S as being non-PCB): EH&S Chemical Waste, 206-616-5835
- Gas Cylinders, Pressurized Containers / Vessels: EH&S Chemical Waste, 206-616-5835
- Instruments Containing Mercury (temperature or pressure measurement devices, coulter counters): EH&S Chemical Waste, 206-616-5835