Contacting Disabled Student Services

One of the key components in making a smooth transition to life on a college campus is linking up with the disabled student services office. The disabled student services office assists students with disabilities in accessing and utilizing accommodations in classes and on campus. When considering a college you should contact the disabled student services contact for that college and talk to them about the services they have to offer. Here are some examples of questions you may wish to ask:

  • What are the documentation requirements for your institution?
  • How large is the typical class?
  • Are the professors/instructors overall willing to accommodate students?
  • Are the classrooms/buildings physically accessible?
  • How many accessible dorm rooms are available?
  • Is there a student career center on campus?
  • What assistive/adaptive technology is available in the library/computer lab?
  • You may also want to discuss the accommodations you are presently receiving and discuss what specific options would be available on their campus.

In an effort to assist you in locating the disabled student services office on each postsecondary campus in Washington State, the Washington Association on Postsecondary Education and Disability (WAPED) maintains a list of links to disabled student services offices at institutions of postsecondary education in Washington State. If an office does not have a Web page, a link to the website of the institution is provided.