Everyone can benefit from work-based learning experiences before graduation from high school or college. This includes students with disabilities.
- Career Preparation for College Students: Getting Started
Learn how to explore career interests and hone job skills through work-based learning.
- It's Your Career: Work-Based Learning Opportunities for Students With Disabilities
A brochure on how to gain work-based learning experiences.
- Career Preparation for Precollege Students: Getting Started
Learn how to increase job skills, and key questions to ask career center staff, family members, and mentors.
- Learn and Earn: Tips for Teens
A brochure on how the benefits of work-based learning experiences.
- Preparing for a Career: An Online Tutorial
Learn how you can prepare for a career using online resources.
- More Career Preparation Tools
Interview tips, sample resumes and cover letters, and how to match interests with skills.
Educators at all levels can help provide meaningful work-based learning experience for students with disabilities. Consult the resources below for more guidance in doing so.
- Creating an Inclusive Career Development Program
How cooperative education, career service, and other postsecondary faculty and staff can help students with disabilities prepare for careers.
- Access to the Future: Preparing Students with Disabilities for Careers
Tips on including students with disabilities in college cooperative education and career services programs.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Career Services
Designing an accessible career services center.
A newsletter for students with disabilities that can be tailored to any postsecondary campus.
- Technology and Universal Design
How to ensure that computers, websites, and other resources are accessible to employees and customers who have disabilities.
K-12 Educators and Advocates
- K-12 Educators and Other Advocates Helping with Career Preparation
How K-12 teachers, parents, advisors, school-to-work staff and other K-12 educators can help students with disabilities prepare for employment.
- Online Resources
Search tools, workplace supports, and government regulations for job seekers and employees with disabilities.
For Parents and Mentors
- Career Preparation Resources for Parents and Mentors
A list of steps and services for those supporting individuals with disabilities.