UW personnel and students: Verify your COVID-19 vaccination status.
The UW has updated its face covering and physical distancing policies. Learn more.

Updated: July 8, at 3:28 p.m.

Our goal for the summer is to provide a safe, high-quality Husky Experience for every student, inside and outside the classroom, as we prioritize your health and your academic success. Most summer quarter classes are being offered remotely as we prepare for in-person instruction in fall 2021. While many buildings are closed or under modified operations due to COVID-19, there are several spaces where students may still study, grab food, and access programs and services.

Meanwhile, the Center for Teaching and Learning has developed resources for instructors who are teaching courses remotely.

Thank you for your perseverance and goodwill as we navigate difficult, uncertain and rapidly changing times in our country and the world.

Table of contents

Health and wellness

How is the UW testing for coronavirus on campus?

Widespread testing — especially of people who have no symptoms — is one important way to protect our community from COVID-19. That’s why the UW launched the Husky Coronavirus Testing program, which is powered by the Seattle Flu Study team, the group that was the first to report community spread of COVID-19 in the United States.

You can enroll now in Husky Coronavirus Testing. Anyone who will be on campus who will be at a UW campus or facility this academic year, especially those who will be there at least once a week, is strongly encouraged to participate.

Testing is being conducted throughout the course of the pandemic on an individualized basis as determined by health risk status and/or risk of exposure. We fully expect to find positive COVID-19 cases through testing — indeed, doing so is critical to stemming outbreaks before they can grow. Anyone who tests positive receives follow-up guidance from UW Environmental Health & Safety about care, self-isolation and contact tracing. Find out more on our coronavirus testing page.

What measures are being taken to protect health of students, employees and the community?

We expect every student and employee to do their part in taking care of each other. Here’s what the UW is doing, too:

Husky Coronavirus Testing remains open for enrollment. We strongly encourage participation for anyone who will be on-campus for any reason in summer quarter, or who lives in campus housing or shared housing (multiple roommates, Greek housing, etc).

Face covering guidelines: All University units must follow the updated UW COVID-19 Face Covering Policy. As of July 7, face coverings are optional for fully vaccinated individuals at UW campuses and facilities, with specific exceptions that include health-care and child-care facilities, and UW shuttles, where you must wear face coverings regardless of your vaccination status. Individuals who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear a face covering indoors at all UW campuses and facilities, and should also consider wearing face coverings outdoors when in crowds or when distancing is not possible. Of course, you’re welcome to continue wearing face coverings wherever and whenever you wish for any reason. And just as in the broader community, our University includes individuals who are unable to be vaccinated or whose medical conditions put them at higher risk for infection.

Hall Health is open: Hall Health Center, which serves the Seattle campus community, is open and ready to fully serve students’ medical needs, including COVID-19 testing. The UW is also taking other steps that you may have heard of, like contact tracing and voluntary expanded testing, to spot potential outbreaks before they grow. Please help us by contacting Environmental Health & Safety if you feel sick and teaming up with them to identify anyone else who might be at risk of illness. You won’t get in trouble for being sick, and you could keep other Huskies from contracting or spreading the virus.

Places to stay if you’re sick: If you get sick, we will require you to stay in your residence hall room, apartment or family home — and away from other people and any shared common areas. For students living on campus, we have residence hall rooms set aside if you test positive for COVID-19 and need a place to isolate while recovering.

Mental health services: The pandemic is taking a toll on mental health for everyone. In addition to Hall Health, mental health services will continue to be offered in-person and remotely for students. Contact 206-543-5030 to schedule. Don’t wait to reach out if you need support. This is a hard situation like nothing we’ve lived through, and you don’t need to go it alone. We’re all in this together.

Is Hall Health open?

Hall Health is open for in-person and remote medical and mental health care services to Seattle campus students and established non-student patients.

New patients and anyone experiencing symptoms such as a cough, fever and/or difficulty breathing MUST call 206-685-1011 first. Please help protect doctors, nurses and other front-line responders: Don’t drop in; do call ahead.

For mental health appointments, contact 206-543-1240 to schedule during business hours, or 866-743-7732 for support any time, day or  night.

What mental health services are available to students? Who should I contact?

On the Seattle campus, most mental health services are accessible remotely at the Counseling Center and Hall Health. Don’t wait to reach out if you need support. This is a hard situation like nothing we’ve lived through, and you don’t need to go it alone. We’re all in this together. Individual, group and crisis counseling are available via secure Zoom sessions. You can also access online workshops and other content to enhance well-being and self-care.

Hall Health
Appointments: 206-543-5030
Counseling Center
Appointments: 206-543-1240
  • Psychiatric medication management
  • Group counseling
  • Brief individual counseling
  • Crisis response
  • Online workshops
  • Brief individual counseling
  • Crisis response

Is Let’s Talk available?

Let’s Talk resumed virtual sessions on March 30, 2021. Please check the Let’s Talk page to learn more and schedule a session.

Can students still get support from a LiveWell confidential advocate if they have experienced sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking or sexual harassment?

The LiveWell advocate is available to work with students. LiveWell services are just a zoom, email or call away. Please email lwadvoc@uw.edu for more information.

Can students still access the LiveWell Student Coaching and Care Program for help with hardship withdrawals and other academic advocacy support?

Yes, contact the LiveWell Student Coaching and Care Program by emailing lwcare@uw.edu.

Does the UW still provide food assistance for students in need?

In Bothell, students can access Husky Pantry curbside pickup.

In Seattle, the UW Food Pantry remains open for online ordering and curbside pickup.

In Tacoma, the UW Tacoma Food Pantry offers both curbside pickup and offsite delivery.

Return to table of contents

Classes and academics

What can I expect for summer quarter?

The UW will continue most courses online for summer 2021, while offering more in-person student services and activities as we prepare for a return to in-person learning this autumn. Instructors will also have the flexibility to offer optional, in-person, class-related activities, such as physically distanced advising, so long as students taking those courses remotely are not disadvantaged.

Those courses held in person will once again largely be clinical instruction, certain labs, and arts- and performance-based courses. These will continue to have appropriate safety measures and physical distancing in place.

How can I tell if a course is going to be offered in person or remotely?

You can check the revised time schedule for your campus, which indicates which courses will be taught in person or remotely.

Bothell schedule | Seattle schedule | Tacoma schedule

One of my summer quarter classes has been canceled. What can I do?

A small percentage of courses may be canceled and removed from students’ schedules because of a range of factors, from instructor availability to course demand. If that happens, you may be notified of changes through an auto-generated email from the Office of the University Registrar or an email from a department chair, faculty member or adviser. To replace a course, contact your advisor and continue using tools such as MyPlan and MyUW.

Advisors can also help if the removal of a specific course creates challenges for you to reach an upcoming milestone like graduation, applying to a major, declaring a minor or preparing to pursue graduate/professional study.

Bothell advising | Seattle advising | Tacoma advising

My class is being graded numerically. Can I change my grade to S/NS to get credit and no numeric grade?

Because summer 2021 has been designated an Extraordinary Circumstances Quarter, you may change your course grading options from S/NS to numeric and vice versa through the seventh week of the quarter. After grades are posted to your transcript, you may still elect S/NS grading for Extraordinary Circumstances Quarters until you earn your degree.

Note: the $20 Change of Registration fee applies each time you request a grading option change. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more information about summer 2021 registration changes.

Are UW Libraries services available?

The UW’s Seattle campus libraries plan to reopen by the start of fall quarter. UW Bothell and UW Tacoma Libraries may have different reopening plans based on individual campus readiness.

Individual Study Space @ Research Commons is available by reservation five days-a-week during summer quarter until it closes at the end of the day on August 20 to prepare for full autumn-quarter reopening.

Users with an active UW NetID or UW Libraries Borrower’s Card can request physical materials via the Libraries No Contact Pick-Up Service, with options for pick-up at all three campuses. While Interlibrary loan can facilitate requests for electronic resources only at this time, it plans to expand access to physical materials starting June 21.

UW Libraries offers a wide range of online support for students and faculty such as 24/7 chat services, research and writing consultations, “drop-in” help hours, online workshops and events and more. The Libraries Student FAQ for 2021 and  Faculty Guidance for 2021 provide additional information.

For up-to-date information on re-opening plans and available services visit the UW Libraries COVID-19 Update page.

For remote classes, can faculty use Zoom video conferencing and ask me to attend?

Faculty members have been asked to be creative in this unprecedented time to try to preserve a productive classroom environment. Many of them are using Zoom, an online video-communications tool that complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. To keep your surroundings out of view, you could use a blank wall as your background or explore Zoom’s options for virtual backgrounds.

How can I obtain my transcript?

You can request and receive official transcripts online through the Office of the Registrar’s transcripts requests service. Official transcripts can no longer be ordered via MyUW or campus Registrar or Registration offices, nor available for in-person pickup. If you have a question or concern, please contact the Office of the Registrar at registra@uw.edu.

Return to table of contents

Preparing for online learning

If my course is remote, how can I best prepare for successful online learning?

Here are a few tips that could help you prepare for remote learning during those classes being held online summer quarter:

  • Set up a distraction-free workspace and be prepared to engage in learning online during your regularly scheduled class times.
  • Learn how to improve connectivity and access resources that internet service providers are offering. For students in need, emergency aid may be available for tools and technology.
  • Check out the suite of resources that Academic Support Programs is developing to assist you as you transition into and through a quarter of online learning.
  • Turn on Canvas notifications to ensure you receive alerts when there are changes or posts in Canvas.
  • Learn how to find and submit assignments on Canvas.
  • Check your UW email at least twice a day, setting up email forwarding if necessary.
  • Familiarize yourself with Zoom. Zoom Pro is now available free of charge to all current students, faculty and other academic personnel, and staff.
  • If your instructor uses Poll Everywhere, sign into the application with your UW NetID to sync your responses with Canvas.
  • Learn how to access UW Libraries online materials and services including help with writing, research and more.

Can I still get study help and support for my academic and personal well-being?

What options are there for students who do not have access to technology at home?

Currently enrolled students can access the following resources:




Return to table of contents

Disability Resources for Students

How can I access Disability Resources for Students?

The Disability Resources for Students (DRS) Seattle office transitioned all advising and services online this summer and all appointments are currently conducted remotely (via phone, video meeting or email,) The DRS office in Mary Gates Hall is currently closed to the public, but coordinators and staff are available remotely for questions and meetings during regular business hours. DRS will continue working in close coordination with faculty and University leadership to ensure that students are being supported as effectively as possible.

Bothell campus | Seattle campus | Tacoma campus

Return to table of contents

Financial concerns

Student Financial Aid has updated information about financial aid during the pandemic, as well as information on setting up phone appointments with their office. Students may also contact financial aid counselors for general questions and veteran@uw.edu for Veterans Education Benefits.


What if I am experiencing a financial emergency?

Each of the UW campuses has emergency aid available for students to assist with unexpected financial hardships that may disrupt their education or prevent them from earning their degrees.

Will tuition rates or fee-based program rates be reduced for remote courses?

No, these rates will not be reduced.  Whether your courses are in-person, hybrid or remote, a UW education is excellent, provided by leading experts in the field and resulting in a degree or credential with significant value. UW faculty and instructors bring the same qualifications, experience and knowledge to remote courses that they do to in-person teaching, and many are innovating new instructional methods and tailoring their content to meet the extraordinary conditions of this time.

The move to remote instruction has increased the cost of course delivery, as well as costs on campus for COVID-19 prevention, mitigation and safety measures in those classrooms, laboratories and service facilities that are operational, as well as in campus housing. We continue to pay faculty, staff and student employees for their work, whether online or in person, and are investing in new technologies to bring existing and new services online for all students.  It is simply not feasible to maintain the quality of a UW education with reduced tuition. Some course fees may be reduced or eliminated for a particular course if they aren’t applicable in a remote environment.

We recognize the pandemic and the resulting economic crisis have made these challenging financial times for many students and families. The UW has been reworking financial aid packages for students whose circumstances have changed as a result of the recession. Please contact Student Financial Aid if your finances have changed since you originally applied for aid.

With regards to resident vs. non-resident tuition: Washington taxpayers subsidize the University through the taxes they pay each year to the state of Washington, which in turn support the UW through operational funding from the state. This is why tuition is lower for resident students than for students whose permanent residence is outside the state of Washington. Few students pay the full cost of their UW education, with private philanthropy, federal grants and contracts, and other sources of revenue contributing greatly to many academic programs and student experiences at the University, including through scholarships, research fellowships, and other student programs.

Will my student fees change? Will I get a rebate on fees such as the Services & Activities fee or other fee components if I am not regularly accessing these services?

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and in consultation with UW leadership, the Seattle Universal Student U-PASS Advisory Board has decided to continue the suspension of the Universal Student U-PASS program for summer quarter on the Seattle campus. This means the Universal Student U-PASS Fee will not appear on your tuition statement and your student U-PASS will be deactivated for summer quarter. UAW Academic Student Employees will continue to have an active U-PASS under the terms of their collective bargaining agreement.

Beyond that, even though we are delivering instruction remotely, we continue to offer services and activities such as student counseling, health and wellness programs, and computing services. The fees that support these programs must continue in order for these services to be offered. For example, the technology fee supports student access to laptops, cloud computing and needed software. The services supported by these fees will expand and shift during summer quarter, and financial resources are still needed to provide consistent services and to fulfill long-term commitments. For example, other student fees support bonds that were used to construct student-projects, such as the IMA fee paid by Seattle campus students, which provides resources to pay the bonds issued to build the Intramural Activities Building.

Will special course fees or components of current fees be charged for summerquarter?

Course fees associated with the costs of delivering a course during summer quarter will be charged. In some instances, fees may be adjusted for specific courses as we continue to evolve and respond to the pandemic.

Does the UW still provide food assistance for students in need?

Bothell students: Find information about Husky Pantry here.

Seattle students: The UW Food Pantry provides food assistance to members of the UW community to help address food insecurity. The pantry remains open and operational and currently has no plans to halt operations. Please check the Any Hungry Husky website for operating hours.

Tacoma students: Find information about the UW Tacoma Food Pantry here.

Return to table of contents

Graduate students

What planning should research groups and researchers undertake to mitigate the effects of any disruptions due to COVID-19? (updated 07/09/21)

In light of the UW’s new COVID-19 guidance, the Office of Research has issued guidance for units and PIs on revising Return to Research Plans, which must be approved by the process your unit used earlier in the pandemic.

Please refer to the Office of Research’s COVID-19 page for more information. The HHRB and IRB are fully operational; if you need to reach them, you can find more information at the bottom of that page.

What happens if I am defending my dissertation in summer quarter?

If you are a doctoral student who will defend your dissertation in summer quarter, the Graduate School has waived the requirement that the Graduate School Representative (GSR) must be physically present during general exams and dissertation defenses. Also, the student no longer needs to be “proctored,” which means that you do not need to be on campus and in a room with a faculty member. The Graduate School has additional guidance on program adjustments during Extraordinary Circumstances Quarters.

Do public defenses need to be postponed?

Public defenses should take place only if allowed by the Safe Start phase at the time of the defense and only if following the appropriate health guidelines.

Return to table of contents

International students

International Student Services maintains a page with coronavirus-related updates for international students. Please consult that page and with ISS staff for more information specific to your individual circumstances.

What is the current status of guidance for international students on F-1 visas?

SEVP has communicated temporary changes to F-1 policy and practice through different communications (listed below). ISS continues to use this guidance as we advise students on their F-1 status during COVID-19.

Students can also read COVID-19 Guidance from the government directly on the websites below:

International Student Services will continue to update its information page as details become available.

Are Center for International Relations and Cultural Leadership Exchange (CIRCLE) services and programs still available?

CIRCLE plans to be fully operational in the autumn in a hybrid capacity, offering a combination of in-person and virtual programs with the office open on a modified schedule. For more information please check the CIRCLE website.

Return to table of contents

Student veterans

The Office of Student Veteran Life holds summer office hours via Zoom and meet student needs through appointments. Please contact Student Veteran Life by emailing vetlife@uw.edu.

Return to table of contents

Housing and Food Services

Residence halls and other campus housing are open for anyone who needs or who believes it best to live on campus. Food service operations in our housing facilities will continue, following physical distancing and other safety protocols. Housing & Food Services has developed an informational page for students living in on-campus housing in Seattle and a video about what to expect if you live on-campus this summer. If you cannot find answers to your questions there, please contact your resident advisor. Bothell Housing & Residential Life and Tacoma Housing & Residence Life are also available to answer questions for students.

Return to table of contents

The HUB, IMA, career services, Greek Life and other student services

Are career and internship support services available?

Career services centers on each campus will be operational in the summer. For example, the Career & Internship Center at the Seattle campus is currently offering a full suite of services virtually.

Bothell Career Services | Seattle Career & Internship Center | Tacoma Career Development

Are fraternity and sorority houses open?

Fraternities and sororities are operated by organizations that are independent from the UW. As a result, each individual house corporation makes its own decisions on remaining open, closing, house occupancy levels, and any related prorated-costs or refunds. Questions pertaining to individual houses should be directed to the leadership of the organization for specifics on their plans.

Is the HUB open for services and studying?

The HUB is open with limited operations as an informal learning space for individual UW students, faculty, and staff. There are more than 200 seats available for UW community members to comfortably access WiFi for classes, studying, and work. Reservations are notrequired for UW students, faculty, staff to visit the HUB. Learn more about visiting the HUB.

Most HUB offices remain available remotely. Please contact individual offices for information.

Private Space for Students

Students can reserve a private conference room for scheduled interviews, mental health services/appointments, or non-departmental testing by completing this form.

Reservations are required to use the space and can be submitted two weeks in advance. Students may request one reservation of up to two hours per week.

Is the HUB open for meetings and events?

The HUB is now accepting event requests under Phase 3 guidelines for events M–F from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. For events beyond these hours, please contact HUB Event & Information Services at hubres@uw.edu. Information on current event guidelines can be found here.

The HUB has two virtual event tools:

  • Balloon is best suited for events with multiple sessions or events looking to provide their attendees with a more interactive event experience.
  • Gather is great for networking, information fairs, poster sessions, and short presentations.

Learn more about our virtual event platforms here.

If you have questions, please contact HUB Event & Information Services at hubres@uw.edu.

Are Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), ASUW and GPSS operating?

RSOs, ASUW, and GPSS are operating! Browse the RSO Directory to check out various student organizations and find your community.

Are UW Recreation facilities such as the IMA open?

The IMA Building is open for currently enrolled UW students to use this summer. UW Recreation facilities will remain open unless the guidance from Governor Jay Inslee changes. Please be sure to check the IMA reopening website regularly for the most current information on our status.

Return to table of contents

Sexual misconduct prevention and response services

Do UW policies regarding sexual misconduct apply in remote learning or working environments?

Yes, UW policies prohibiting sex discrimination, sexual harassment, and other forms of sexual misconduct apply to all students and employees—whether the prohibited behaviors happen in person, online, over the phone, or in some other form. Find out how to get confidential support, report sexual assault, find medical care and counseling, and access other resources.

Is SafeCampus still available to discuss safety and well-being concerns, including concerns about sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment?

Yes, SafeCampus is available to all members of the UW community, no matter what your location, 24 hours, seven days a week. Call 206-685-7233.

Can students and employees still get support from a confidential advocate if they have experienced sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, or relationship violence?

Yes, confidential advocates are available to work with students and employees by phone, email or Zoom. Advocates can help students and employees regardless of when or where the harmful behavior occurred. You can contact advocates by phone or e-mail. SafeCampus can also connect you with a confidential advocate.

Can students, staff, or faculty still make reports of sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, or relationship violence?

Yes, the Title IX Investigation Office, UCIRO, and Human Resource are still investigating reports of misconduct by students and employees. Those offices are available by phone, email, or Zoom.

Return to table of contents