Board of Regents Governance
Board of Regents Resolution Regarding Faculty Salaries
WHEREAS, the President and Faculty Senate worked together in 1999 and 2000 to create a Faculty Salary Policy which states, among other things, that faculty members deemed in any year to be meritorious are to receive a 2% pay increase in the following year; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Regents and the President remain committed to the achievement of fully competitive compensation for our faculty, but must contend with the current unprecedented condition of financial adversity; and
WHEREAS, in light of the effects of the global financial crisis and decreasing state support for the University, the President, after extensive review and consultation with the Faculty Senate in accordance with the Faculty Code, concluded he was compelled by fiscal necessity to issue, and has issued, a new Executive Order suspending the award of merit pay increases through the 2009-11 biennium.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED:
The Board of Regents:
- Endorses the President's new Executive Order as a financial necessity and approves the suspension of merit pay increases through the 2009-11 biennium, which will prevail over any University policies, rules, or codes or regulations to the extent they may be inconsistent.
- Directs that, through the period of such suspension, a copy of this resolution be inserted in the University Handbook at an appropriate location adjacent to the Faculty Salary Policy.
- Requests that the President, with the Faculty Senate leadership, monitor the effects of this suspension and our current economic circumstance on competitive faculty compensation.
- Requests the President to propose at the earliest possible opportunity the restoration of such faculty merit pay increases as may be feasible.
BR, April 16, 2009.
For related information, see:
- Executive Order No. 29, "Partial Suspension of
Executive Order No. 64"
- Executive Order No. 45, "Documentation of Qualifications and Recommendations for Promotion, Tenure, and Merit Increases"
- Executive Order No. 59, "Excess
Compensation to Faculty"
- Executive Order No. 64, "Faculty Salary Policy"
- Faculty Code, Chapter 24,
"Appointment and Promotion of Faculty Members"
- Employment and Administrative Policies, Chapter 102,
"Salary Terms of Employment for Academic Personnel:
Salary Payments and Employment Periods"