Employing a UWRP Retiree
University of Washington Retirement Plan (UWRP) participation includes faculty, librarians, and professional staff originally employed at least 50% for six or more consecutive months.
- UWRP retirees cannot work greater than 40% of full time in the 12-month academic year beginning July 1 through the following June 30. This applies to any and all positions worked.
- Appointments at 40% or less do not require open recruitment.
- One of the following job class codes must be used when rehiring a UWRP retiree:
||Required Job Code
||0186 to 0203
||0204 or 0410
Tenured faculty have specific re-employment rights. Questions about re-employment of retired faculty, academic staff and librarians should be directed to Academic HR.
Note that your newly hired UWRP retiree must complete and return the Retirement Status Form to UW Benefits at Box 359556.
To rehire a UWRP retiree into a staff or professional staff temporary position, you will follow the direct hire temporary process. The first step is to enter your requisition into UWHIRES.The following fields are required:
- Payroll title — enter 1850 as the job code.
- Location — select the location where the individual will work.
- Employment program — select "Temporary/Hourly"
- Proposed salary — enter the hourly amount you would like to pay.
- Position description — provide a complete description of the duties and responsibilities to be performed by the appointed individual. * If you are a UWMC hiring manager, contact your employment specialist for the standardized, departmental job description performance evaluation template to complete this field.
- Requirements — describe the required skills necessary to perform the essential functions of the job, including the minimum qualifications for the classification being used for the position.
- Notes — specify the reason for creating the temporary appointment. If a candidate has been identified for the position, provide the candidate's name. If a candidate has not been identified, then mention that this is an open recruitment temporary position and provide posting details (i.e. how long it needs to be posted, any additional specific instruction).
- Requisition approvers — Verify that all necessary approvers are listed and that any unnecessary approvers are removed. Approvers may be pre-set in UWHIRES by your employment specialist per your request.
- Less than 12 Months Dates From __ to __ — specify the estimated start and end dates of the appointment. Cannot exceed 12 months.
If you have any of the following additional information on your temporary appointment, include it in the requisition:
- FTE % (no more than 40%)
- Candidate contact information – phone number, email address.
Once all fields are completed, click "Save" at the bottom of the page. This will create your requisition number and allow you to review the requisition in draft status.
If a candidate has been identified, request that the candidate complete the online application in UWHIRES.
Your Employment Specialist will add the candidate to the requisition and conduct a resume review to ensure the candidate meets the position's minimum requirements.
Get your requisition approved