Direct Hire Temporary
A direct hire temporary hourly appointment is used to fill a temporary, hourly appointment with a classified job title. These temporary hourly appointments are subject to the hour limits and requirements of the University's temporary employment program. Temporary hourly employees may be included in a bargaining unit agreement and subject to that agreement.
Create the requisition in UWHIRES by completing the following fields.
- Payroll title — Select the classified payroll title that most closely matches the work the candidate will perform. If you do not know what payroll title to use, contact your employment specialist.
- Location — Select the location where the individual will work.
- Employment program — select "Temporary/Hourly" for most classified, hourly positions or "Per Diem" for RN 2 or 3 positions at Harborview Medical Center or UW Medical Center. Exceptions: Use "Nursing Hourly" for nursing technicians (job codes 1835 and 0884) and "Student Temp Hourly" for student assistants (job codes 0875 and 1836).
- Selecting "Temporary/Hourly" or "Per Diem" opens the "Temporary Employment" tab on the requisition with three position-related questions you must answer.
- Your answers to these questions are used to populate the Temporary Employment Notice and determine benefits eligibility. The temporary hourly employee appointed to the position will receive the Temporary Employment Notice by email. A copy of the Temporary Employment Notice will also be emailed to you.
- If you have a candidate identified for the position, provide the candidate's name and indicate if they are a current or former UW employee. This information will be used by your employment specialist once the requisition is approved.
- Proposed salary — Enter the hourly amount you would like to pay.
- Position description — Provide a complete description of the duties and responsibilities to be performed by the appointed individual.
- Requirements — Describe the skills necessary to perform the essential functions of the job, including the minimum qualifications for the classification being used for the position.
- Notes — Use the "Notes" field to specify the reason for creating the temporary hourly appointment. If a candidate has not been identified, indicate this is an open recruitment temporary position and provide posting details (e.g., how long it needs to be posted and other specific instructions). If a candidate has been identified, include the candidate's contact information (phone number and/or email address).
- Requisition Approvers — Verify that all necessary approvers are listed and any unnecessary approvers are removed. Approvers may be pre-set in UWHIRES by your employment specialist per your request.
- Shift — Select all shifts the position will work.
- Less than 12 Months — Specify the estimated start and end dates of the appointment. Temporary hourly appointments can be made for a maximum of 12 months at a time.
- % FTE — Enter the FTE percent in whole numbers only. Do not use the % symbol.
Once all fields are completed, click "Save" at the bottom of the page. This will create your requisition number and allow you to review the requisition in DRAFT status.
If a candidate has been identified, request that the candidate create a candidate profile in UWHIRES if they do not already have one. Your employment specialist will conduct a resume review to ensure the candidate meets the position's minimum requirements.
If your candidate is a current or previous UW temporary hourly employee, use the Temporary Hourly Employee Hours Lookup Tool. The tool will allow you to determine if the candidate has enough hours to complete the potential temporary hourly assignment. This tool provides the total number of temporary hours worked (exclusive of overtime) in the current 12-month period measured from the employee's original date of temporary employment or the anniversary of that date. You can also access the Temporary Hourly Employee Hours Lookup Tool from "My HR Tools - Temporary Employment" at the top of your UWHIRES Manager Workbench.
Criminal Background Checks
Some UW positions are considered security/safety sensitive. The successful candidate for such a position must have a criminal conviction history check conducted after a conditional offer of employment has been made and accepted. See Criminal Background Check for details.
If your position is "security/safety sensitive," discuss the background check requirements with your employment specialist.
Get your requisition approved.
Reminder: All new appointments, including temporary appointments, must be entered into the UW payroll system on or before their first day of employment.
Need to extend a direct hire temporary appointment? Visit My HR Tools.