Academic Student Employee
To complete the academic student employment, follow the post-hiring process below.
First track the hire in UWHIRES by:
- Log into UWHIRES.
- Opening your requisition in the "Requisition" view and scroll down to the "Candidates" tab.
- Click on the "Add Activity" link for the candidate who as accepted the offer. This will open the "Add Activity" screen.
- Select "Hired/Accepted" from the "Activity Type" drop down.
- Click "Save." The "Candidate New Hire" screen will appear.
- Enter the following information:
- Hire date – date offer is accepted
- Start date – date new employee will start
- Salary amount – defaults to the amount from the "Offer Approval" page
- Starting Salary – Pay Table-Range or Grade auto-fills based on the job code
- Prehire Status – select from the drop down menu the status of the candidate hired PRIOR to moving to your position.
Next, complete the hire by:
- Preparing and sending an appointment letter (Samples of letter).
- Entering new employee into OPUS.
- Collecting completed paperwork (I-9, W-4, AA Data Form, Direct Deposit).
Update Candidates Not Selected
You also need to update candidates that were not selected. This process is done electronically within UWHIRES as candidates can check their statuses themselves. Follow these steps to update candidates not selected:
- Log into UWHIRES.
- In the requisition view, scroll down to the "Candidates" tab.
- To update individual candidates:
- Click on the "Add Activity" link. This will open the "Add Activity" screen.
- Select the appropriate final disposition code from the "Activity Type" drop-down menu for the stage in which the candidates fell out of consideration. By adding this information, candidates can view their status for your position in their UW applicant profile. Candidates will only see "Not Selected," regardless of what disposition code you choose.
- To update all candidates:
- Select all candidates you wish to change status on by clicking the box to the left of their name.
- At the top of the "Candidates" tab, select the appropriate disposition code from the drop-down menu for the stage in which the candidates fell out of consideration.
- Click "Go."
Note: On your hiring manager workbench, if you have filled requisitions on which candidates have not yet been dispositioned, you will see a tab indicating such. From this tab, you are able to go into a requisition and move candidates into their final disposition status.
Employee Hiring Topics
Need help with UWHIRES? Call or email our help desk at 206-543-2544.