Academic Student Employee
Open hire appointments are covered by Article 13 of the UW/UAW contract covering academic student employees. Open hire positions are those positions not used to fulfill a commitment of support made to a student, either (a) at the time of admission or (b) under an existing advising relationship with a faculty member(s).
Open hire positions may be announced to all eligible applicants within a department without being posted on the UW's employment website. If you cannot find an eligible applicant within your department, then follow the directions below to post the position on UW's employment website.
1. Enter your requisition into UWHIRES. The following fields are required:
- Payroll Title — enter "Teaching Assistant" or "Research Assistant" in the "Job Title" search field and then click the "Search" button. Select the title with the proper job code. Review classifications and job codes.
- Location — select the location where the individual will work.
- Employment program — select "Academic Student Employee."
- Position Description — provide a description of the duties and responsibilities to be performed by the appointed individual.
- Requirements — describe the required skills or academic standing necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. Establish application materials to collect from candidates. These may include unofficial transcripts, writing samples, letters of reference, letter of interest and resume.
- Establish the timeline for the recruitment per the union contract. You will need to identify the following:
- Application deadline minimum of two weeks from posting date.
- Notification deadline — the dates which the department will be notifying candidates of the selection. Typically one to two weeks after the application deadline.
- Acceptance deadline — the date which selected candidates must accept position in writing.
- Review the deadline posting requirements in Article 13
- Less than 12 Months Dates From __ to __ — specify the appointment's start and end dates. If this is a full academic year appointment, specify if this includes summer quarter.
- Requisition Approvers — Verify that all necessary approvers are listed and that any unnecessary approvers are removed. Approvers may be pre-set in UWHIRES by your employment specialist per your request.
2. Once all fields are completed, click "Save" at the bottom of the page. This will create your requisition number and allow you to review the requisition in Draft status.
Get your requisition approved.
Employee Hiring Topics
Reminder: All new appointments, including temporary appointments, must be entered into the UW payroll system on or before their first day of employment.
We are making upgrades to UWHIRES. Before you log in, check here to view a list of bugs/errors currently affecting the Hiring Manager Workbench and to learn about the latest system improvements.
Article 13 of the UW/UAW Contract
Need access to UWHIRES? Contact your Employment Specialist.
Need help with UWHIRES? Call or email our help desk at 206-543-2544.