Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP)
Summer Quarter Coverage
Graduate appointees, fellows, and trainees in eligible positions may participate in the Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP) during summer quarter based on establishing eligibility as follows:
Eligibility for Summer Quarter
- Eligibility Based on Prior Coverage
- If you had UW-paid GAIP coverage for fall, winter, and spring quarters, you are eligible for UW-paid GAIP coverage for summer quarter, regardless of student and/or employment status.
- Eligibility Based on Employment
- The UW pays the monthly premium for student appointees with eligible summer quarter positions. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in at least two credits in at least one session; the position must be 50% or greater FTE, and paid on two consecutive pay periods, and you must hold a GAIP-eligible appointment.
- Appointment of Fellows & Trainees with Stipends
- The UW pays the monthly premium for Fellows and Trainees in eligible summer quarter positions. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in at least two credits in at least one session; the position must be paid at least $800 per month, and paid on two consecutive pay periods; and you must hold a GAIP-eligible appointment.
- Eligibility Based on Hourly Employment in Job Code 0854
- Students working in Job Code 0854, Graduate Research Student Assistant (GRSA) may also qualify for UW-Paid GAIP coverage due to hourly employment. To qualify, the student must work the number of hours equivalent to 50% FTE for two pay periods during summer quarter. Hours worked in another position are not included. Coverage begins retroactively to the first of the month in which the student met the equivalent 50% FTE requirement for the second pay period. This hourly position is limited to appointments during the summer quarter only.
Self-Pay During Summer
If you held a UW-paid GAIP-eligible appointment in spring, you can continue your GAIP coverage on a self-pay basis returning the self-pay packet sent by LifeWise in July.
If you held a UW-paid GAIP-eligible appointment in fall or winter, subsequently lost your UW-paid coverage, enrolled in the self-pay option at the time you lost your coverage, you can continue self-paying through the month of September. See Self-Pay information.
For summer quarter enrollment deadlines, see Enrollment, Deadlines, and Coverages.
You will be notified via the summer quarter memo of the summer quarter enrollment deadline for adding/dropping dependents. It will typically be on or around June 20.
Premium Payments for Summer Quarter
If you are eligible for summer quarter coverage based on prior coverage, LifeWise will bill you directly for dependent coverage premiums. Dependent premiums must be paid in full for the entire quarter directly to LifeWise by the due date shown on the LifeWise invoice. If you have a GAIP-eligible appointment for summer quarter, you must still pay LifeWise; there will be no payroll deductions. It is your responsibility to respond to the LifeWise invoice to ensure that your dependent premium is paid. If you do not receive an invoice from LifeWise by the middle of July, you need to contact LifeWise at 1-800-421-3531.