Skip navigation - Jump to main content
UWHR to launch new website at end of July! Learn more about the upcoming launch.

Medical/Dental Insurance
for Faculty, Staff & Librarians - Overview


Many employers offer just one or two medical plans. At the University of Washington, we understand that one size does not fit all. PEBB insurance-eligible faculty and staff choose from four medical plans and three dental plans.

Current Staff & Faculty

You have the option to keep your existing plan or choose a new plan during the Annual Open Enrollment period that runs from November 1-30 for changes that take effect on January 1.

Attend the Annual Benefits Fair to help you explore your healthcare and other insurance options.

New Employees

As a new employee, you have 31 days from your initial eligibility date to select and enroll in the medical and dental plan of your choice. Follow the steps in the Act section below to determine if your position is PEBB insurance-eligible and how your initial eligibility date is determined.

New employees must turn in an enrollment form to activate medical and dental coverage. New employees who do not select and enroll in a plan within the 31-day deadline will lose the ability both to select among all the plans and to enroll dependents until the next annual medical/dental open enrollment. Uniform Medical and Uniform Dental are the default plans if no action is taken by the employee. However, note that without an enrollment form, even the "default" enrollment will be delayed up to 90 days, limiting ability to access services. You cannot change your plan until the next open enrollment period or unless there is a qualifying change in your family circumstances.

Temporary Employees

Please see information about when temporary employees become eligible for insurance coverage.


  1. Determine if your position is PEBB insurance-eligible.
    Note to temporary employees: Please see information about when temporary employees become eligible for insurance coverage.
  2. Learn about benefits eligibility for your dependent children and/or Spouse or Qualified Domestic Partner
  3. Review the PEBB Medical & Dental Insurance Enrollment Guide.
  4. Research the medical plans and dental plans available to PEBB insurance-eligible faculty and staff.
  5. Use the Public Employee Benefits Board (PEBB) enrollment/change form to enroll in the insurance plan of your choice and return it to the Benefits Office.


In addition to items listed on the left and right sidebars of this page, these topics may interest you:

Disclaimer: The information on this page does not substitute for official plan documents. If there is a conflict between the information on this site and an official plan document, the official plan document will govern. Refer to the Benefits Forms & Publications page.

Plan availability and eligibility may change depending on your employment status and/or actions of the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA), the agency that purchases and coordinates health insurance benefits for public employees, including employees of the University of Washington, through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) program.

Medical & Dental
Insurance Topics